RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Active CPU cooling for the Gen8

overcoat

Yes at full speed it will be definietly toooo loud. It will be even better with a very silent RPM an aktiv cooling than an passiv cooling. I think i will give is a try with an old USB cable which I don't need anymore to test ist.

Akasa Fan is 4 Pin

Update: The Akasa won't power on with only 5V. I have tested it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9KzwF7efnc works for me

In order to mount it I just did the same as OP and used a pair of pliers to bend two of the mount points until the metal simply broke away, and it's quite secure enough with just the two mount points locking it down like OP says.

Edited by paradox
  • Like 1
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• paradox

• Cap_peeps

• TLN

• overcoat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My modification:   With: Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1240 v2 (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz)    

As I was going to be swapping out the motherboard and fan on my unit, while it's apart I thought I'd take the opportunity to look at other cooling options for the CPU.   This might be of interest to

Last week I finally updated my Gen8 with the E3-1265L "V1" from ebay mentioned in other posts... so  I added a fan to the stock heatsink like other users did:     I had to cut the fan

Posted Images

Great, than I have made a mistake, sorry. I will buy some adapters and install the fan onto the CPU. I only will use the power with an Y Molex.

I'm planing to replace a CPU in my microserver, and prefer to replace a cooler as well. 

Not sure, active or passive, but I'd like to see a big chunk of copper to sit on top.

I  see there's drive brackets from schoondoggy, not sure what are they made of. But what if we do a custom bracket for CPU Cooler?

Microserver uses 65x75mm patten and standart is 75x75. Height is about 4cm

There's some nice variants to keep it cool: 

Noctua NH-9i: http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products_xl/165695/2/noctua-nh-l9i.jpg

Scythe Kozuti: http://ru.gecid.com/data/cooler/201210220900-2961/img/15.jpg

Thermolab ITX30: http://www.techpowerup.com/img/14-06-16/Cooltek_ITX30_02.jpg

Some rounded coolers:

zalman cnps2x: http://ru.gecid.com/data/cooler/201309221017-4761/img/14_zalman_cnps2x.jpg

Thermaltake meorb: http://www.ninjalane.com/images/meorb/100_4410.jpg

it's possible to attack rounded one wih two screws. It will likely require to cut off  a little, but will work. And I remember some members already did this. 

Flower-type construction will cool all the comoonents a little bit better in my opinion.

I'm specially including thm upside-down, so we can take a look on mountings.

All of them attaces via two brackets. You need two screw to attach each bracet to cooler.

All wee need to adopt this is to cut a rigid bracket for 65x75 pattern. May be schoondoggy can help?

I see some variants:

=Solid plate, 65x75mm. four holes on corners. You can adapt this for every(almost) cooler, but you need to cut it, and drill four holes. =

=Plate for each cooler: either create some plates for each cooler or make this to order. Complicated, but if someone have tools - might work.

Wha do you guys think? 

If anyone decide to make such a plate I'd buy several plates. 

• Like 1

Here  it said: Heatsink Dim: 72x64x63mm

And we need 75x65 hole mount. This is approx 80x70 outer dimensions. 

Second is that heatsink height is 63mm and we need it about 40mm. Unless you wanna cut all 188 pins.  :unsure:

But honestly I think it would be hard to buy a cooler from 2001 nowadays. 

paradox

I stumbled on a post elsewhere that alerted me to the fact that the power cable from the PSU to the drive bay is a molex cable that connects somewhere in the middle under the ODD area - can that be safely split with a Y cable to run a fan or two off the same cable? or would it cause some power instability to the HDD cage?

Joe_Miner

I stumbled on a post elsewhere that alerted me to the fact that the power cable from the PSU to the drive bay is a molex cable that connects somewhere in the middle under the ODD area - can that be safely split with a Y cable to run a fan or two off the same cable? or would it cause some power instability to the HDD cage?

I've had no problems doing that.

• Like 1
paradox

I've had no problems doing that.

Really? excellent.. I wanted to add some small fans and was starting to think I'd have to splice into the wires of the system fan cable. thanks.

paradox

I added a small heatsink/fan combo on top of the iLO chip using some Akasa thermal tape. It fits just about and the tray slides in and out fine. I think i'm going to get another one and replace the small northbridge(?) heatsink. It's a bit larger than the chip, but if I use the thermal tape to secure it that will stop the heatsink from contacting the board and causing a short or something.

XUq8iGn.jpg

This is where I got the heatsink

Uploaded a quick video here showing it running along with how I've routed the cabling etc, underneath the ODD bay there's a gap with lots of room to hide the cables - has anyone tried fitting a single HDD under there? Not sure how you'd get it under there though, maybe have to remove the PSU first.

Edited by paradox
  • Like 1

Ilo really doesnt need extra cooling

I added 4 passive heatsinks to mine and it hardly did a thing

it certainly doesnt need active cooling

The northbridge could do with a touch of airflow or a better heatsink

and the lom could certainly do with cooling

image.jpg

• Like 1