RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Active CPU cooling for the Gen8

overcoat

Hey guys,

I got my Gen8 today with the Xeon E3 1230 and I picked up that Akasa heatsink fan for it.

I was going to splice the cables to get it working, but I thought maybe there are 'usb to X' cables that I could use on the internal USB port, and I found this:

51jds6xOgkL._SL1100_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VG6UV2O/

Stick that in the internal USB port, then attach one of these fan cables to the molex?

CM-142-BX_42876_800.jpg

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CM-142-BX

Then you can easily add extra fans? I doubt it could power many but a single USB 2.0 port should easily be able to run that Akasa cooling fan, what do you guys think? You could also attach other things to the molex for power too, so you don't need to splice wires etc. Or has this been tried and found to not work?

I only got it today and I haven't even turned it on yet, but I was planning to run the OS on a high speed MicroSDHC card using the internal MicroSD port, so the USB port would be free for this cable. (Is that OK to do, or will it be noticably very slow? The SD card I got is "SanDisk Extreme Micro SDXC Card 64 GB UHS-I 60 MB/s U3")

I'd be interested in replacing the stock fan with a better (quiter / pushes more air etc) fan, but I'm guessing the server will complain if it's not got the weird proprietary 6-pin fan connector plugged in and working properly? (seriously why did they use that?)

Also with power being at a premium, I was thinking if it would be possible to upgrade the PSU, would this not be the right type to use as a replacement? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I607LG2 or does the one installed have a bunch of weird custom connectors / proprietary cables etc?

Thanks in advance,

para

Edited by paradox

The EU/UK models get a 200w psu in comparison to the US getting 150w

200w is plenty

I have

Xeon 1265LV2

16GB PC3-1600

CPU Fan

PCI-E Raid Controller

9 internal Drives

all running from the HP 200W PSU its pointless replacing it

Edited by Shonk

The EU/UK models get a 250w psu in comparison to the US getting 200w

250w is plenty

oh really? I thought they were all 150w (must have read it somewhere and it just stuck)

So I think in theory my idea should work, right?

How could I go about replacing the exhaust fan using this method, if the Gen8 throws a tantrum if nothing is plugged into its fan header on the mobo? Would I just have to cut the wires from both the stock fan and the replacement one, then solder 3 or 4 of the stock fan cable wires to the replacement fans? problem there is I would have no idea which wire = which wire, since the stock cable seems to have 6 wires? The most I can find on a fan is 4, with 3 being the standard obviously - will a 4pin, or even 3pin work if spliced into the stock connector properly, or does the Gen8 need the other wires to be hooked up to something or it'll throw errors up?

Thanks again.

sorry my bad UK Gets 200w US 150w

Here's mine (had to fish through some of my saved images)

image.jpg

Edited by Shonk

Ah ok, so 200w is still more than the 150w I thought it had - I probably don't *need* more power, but I do things like watercool my PC which I don't *need* to do either, y'know?

Anyone know about the fan question?

Thanks again.

The Akasa K25 is rated as a 12V Fan, do you think you can power it with the 5V from USB. The idea is very cool, I like it and I hope it will work.

The Akasa K25 is rated as a 12V Fan, do you think you can power it with the 5V from USB. The idea is very cool, I like it and I hope it will work.

It should work but it would not be fullspeed I think. I found some 5v Molex-to-3pin-fan cables so that plugged into the USB-to-Molex and then into the fan should definitely power it, but yeah probably not fullspeed - might it even be too loud fullspeed?

Yes at full speed it will be definietly toooo loud. It will be even better with a very silent RPM an aktiv cooling than an passiv cooling. I think i will give is a try with an old USB cable which I don't need anymore to test ist.

Akasa Fan is 4 Pin

Update: The Akasa won't power on with only 5V. I have tested it.

Edited by crypted

Needles and pins .... :)  you have the wires and the wires are color, black- earth, yellow 12V, 5V red, if you take the yellow and red will be 7
open a piece of wire from the insulation and connect an additional plug - it is 5 minutes and it will take a bit of masking tape.