RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
overcoat

Active CPU cooling for the Gen8

TeoCiontu

Pretty sure it was the trial version of Server Essentials 2012. I was running AHCI with 'the fan speed bug', so between 32 and 36%.

Thx, you have very good temps. 

My chipset drop 10C, after the new bios,   with AHCI in windows 2012 r2 and 19% fan speed. 

Edited by TeoCiontu

overcoat

I had my Gen8 apart today and took some photos of the fan wiring for those who had questions about how it is configured.

Overview of the harness, CPU cooler not shown.

gallery_5001_75_7325.jpg

Detail of the OE 6 pin motherboard connector. Wires for RPM and PWM joined to corresponding pins on a consumer 4 pin PWM fan connector which takes its 12V power and ground from the SATA harness. OE 6 pin retains the shorting connector (black loop) so the motherboard can confirm the fan connector is connected.

gallery_5001_75_55043.jpg

OE Delta case fan modded with a consumer 4 pin connector.

gallery_5001_75_244954.jpg

PWM Y-splitter - the side to the CPU cooler only has 3 wires, deleting RPM send to the motherboard so it only sees the speed of the Delta case fan.

gallery_5001_75_10625.jpg

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

Thanks OverCoat!

karl69

Hi OverCoat,

do you have an special reason why not using the GND and +12V from the chassis fan connector on the mainboard ?

You take it from the SATA harness.

I found in another forum the PIN-Layout for the mainboard connector:

Pin1 GND - Black (also looped to other pin on 6 pin connector)
Pin2 +12V - Red
Pin3 Sense - Yellow
Pin4 Control – Blue

Is the yellow Pin on the mainboard connector connected to the yellow cable and the blue Pin connected to the

green cable ?

Edited by karl69

overcoat

Only what I said in an earlier post "negating any risk of drawing excessive current through the mobo". It's a common, perhaps old school technique when adding fans for overclocking. I already had the molex plug shown in the photo so it didn't cost me any time or money. I don't think its essential as any CPU fan will draw far less than the beastly Delta and the mobo will be rated to the Delta at 100%.

Yes, yellow to yellow for RPM and blue to green for PWM :)

ioan

i've created 4-pin adapter for microserver (schematics taken from http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1377-page9.html).connected akasa k25 to molex, and noctua 120mm cooler throught 4-pin <----> 6-pin adapter. 

this scheme works, but i have following problem - with possibility near 30% system beeps while BIOS are initializing with error message:

1611-fan 1 failure

fan solution not sufficient

after reboot it boots normally.

this is really annoying. do anyone have same problem?

• Like 1

crypted

Hi there,

@overcoat

thanks for inspiring me with the Akasa K25 CPU Cooler. I have installed it like you did but den CPU Fan is a far way to loud. I have made a Video to show you. The PWM isn`t controlling the speed enough down in my opinion. What else can I do?

Video

I have connected the wires a little bit different than you. I am getting the power from the drive bay sata. The case fan is still totally original connected to the mobo. I have soldered a wire from mobo fan connector pin 3 (PWM) to the CPU Fan pin 4 (PWM). That's all. Please have a look at my pictures.

Also an additional information. When I disconnect the PWM wire, the fan spins up at full speed. So it is working, but not enough.

@ioan

I have used the same sheme for informing me, I don`t have problem. How about your Fan speed? Is it louder than the case fan like mine?

Greets

crypted

my cpu is an E3-1270V2

img_5359.jpg

img_5360.jpg

img_5361.jpg

Edited by crypted
  • Like 2

overcoat

crypted, as background here's some other info about my current setup.

My disk controller is in AHCI mode and I'm running the hacked iLO 1.32 that has modified fan speed tables and I believe also the similarly modified BIOS. My Gen8 is off at the moment so I cannot check for you.

I've also replaced the Delta case fan with a much quieter one, in order for that to work I've shorted out the mobo fan rotation detect pins as described in post 10 of this thread.

Mine is essentially totally silent now.

Regarding your problem:

1) Try the K25 on another motherboard with 4 pin PWM. If it's a normal desktop running Windows you should be able to find a utility to monitor and adjust the fan speed. That way you could confirm the K25 is working as expected.

2) Check what versions of BIOS and iLO you're running.

3) Make sure you have the least aggressive cooling profile selected in the BIOS.

4) Examine the iLO management page and see what fan % it is running at.

Triple check your wiring! :)

i've created 4-pin adapter for microserver (schematics taken from http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1377-page9.html).connected akasa k25 to molex, and noctua 120mm cooler throught 4-pin <----> 6-pin adapter. 

this scheme works, but i have following problem - with possibility near 30% system beeps while BIOS are initializing with error message:

1611-fan 1 failure

fan solution not sufficient

after reboot it boots normally.

this is really annoying. do anyone have same problem?

As linked in my reply immediately above, to replace the case fan you need to trick the motherboard into believing the Delta is still attached. It's all in that thread :)

• Like 1

crypted
Hello overcoat,

mine is also in AHCI Mode. Today I will get my SAS Controller. I hope the situation won't get worse. 

1) CPU FAN is working totally silent with my gigabyte mobo.

2) The newest version.

HP ProLiant System ROM 06/06/2014

iLO 2.10 Jan 15 2015

Could you send me you BIOS and iLO? Or do you have download links für this special version?

3) setting is "optimal cooling" other two options are increased and maximum.

4) It`s at 15% after boot.

The silly thing is that when den case fan spins down afert boot, than the cpu fan spins up a little bit...

Thank you!

bios setting.png

• Like 1

crypted

It looks like that I can't edit my post. I have installed "iLO4_132_MSGen8" (I found it on google) an now my FAN speed is at 8%, only the CPU FAN spins at the same loud speed like I mentioned before.

What case FAN are you using? I want so buy the same.

Bildschirmfoto 2015-06-09 um 16.14.43.png

Edited by crypted