RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
overcoat

Active CPU cooling for the Gen8

Cap_peeps

Hi Radaxian, 

According the inverted PWM signal, it shouldnt be so difficult. I found one hint on the internet and put it on this thread: 

It is the last reply from me.

It looks like the chip itself is able to invert the signal. I ordered already the chip so I am only waiting when it arrives to try it. I hope that it will work. Then it definitely solve the issue with added another fans.

Many thaanks.

Thomas97

Hi @radaxian and @Trig0r

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

10 hours ago, Trig0r said:

You able to power the board up on the tray out of the chassis

I'm not sure what you mean.

are you sure the fans spinning, also, is it spinning in the right direction.

Fans are spinning (always 100% on because of how I connected the fan) and yes in the right direction I believe (air is being directed down towards the chipset).

Personally I'd take the akasa off of the CPU and see what state the thermal compound is in, you'll be able to see straight off if you have a decent contact between CPU and heatsink.

Here are the pics of the cooler.

Because of the non standard form of the screws I can use only 2 out of the 4 and removed one screw hole to make it fit, exactly as @overcoat did in the first posts. Again though, his temps differ very much from mines.

The temps I get are consistent. Over 90 °C passing 2-3 mins of transcoding.

Trig0r

Can you remove the tray from the Gen8 and power it up outside of the chassis?

Looks like you have a lot of compound on there, I'd clean everything up and reapply with a smaller amount of compound.

Also, as you have 2 screws, make sure its not bent or resting on other components around the socket and that you are getting decent contact.

The joys of the HP 65w cooler are it fits, its not cheap though, I paid ~£90 for mine IIRC. and it was a PITA to get hold of..

• Like 1

Thomas97

Thanks again for replying.

18 hours ago, Trig0r said:

The joys of the HP 65w cooler are it fits, its not cheap though, I paid ~£90 for mine IIRC. and it was a PITA to get hold of..

Indeed, in the end I bought it. I'm waiting for it to be dispatched from Germany and I paid much more than that. It was about 200 euros on the HPE website. I found this supplier who sold it a 150.

God, I hope it was worth it.

I was unconfortable with having only 2 screws, the fact that it did not fit precisely made me wonder wether the round surface of the cooler was touching the processor in the right way, as you suggested, but it's difficoult to see from a side view. The compound seemed to adhere but nontheless, let's see if the official HP part even without fan can yield better results.

Thank you very very much for your help and suggestions.

• Like 1