• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• paradox

• Cap_peeps

• TLN

• overcoat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My modification:   With: Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1240 v2 (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz)    

As I was going to be swapping out the motherboard and fan on my unit, while it's apart I thought I'd take the opportunity to look at other cooling options for the CPU.   This might be of interest to

Last week I finally updated my Gen8 with the E3-1265L "V1" from ebay mentioned in other posts... so  I added a fan to the stock heatsink like other users did:     I had to cut the fan

Posted Images

That is insanely high. I have an 89W E3 1290 v2 and it doesn't get anywhere near those temperature with a stock 35W heatsink under maximum load (minerd, much higher load than prime95, and even higher than OCCT).

105C is thermal throttling temperature, the CPU will disable boost speeds when it gets that hot. It sounds like your heatsink is coming off and not making proper thermal contact with the CPU.

schoondoggy

I am using the Akasa Heatsink described on this post, and the CPU is E3 1240 V2

Do you reckon using the stock heatsink without fan ?

What did you use for thermal paste?

In the graph you posted, what are the titles for the two columns? 52C vs 105C?

No way should you be able to get the temperature up to 105C regardless of the load you are applying, that implies there is something badly going wrong. As I explained, my 87W E3 1290 v2 doesn't get anywhere near that under full load with the stock, fanless heatsink. I would hazard a guess that you have a fitment issue, such as heatsink rattling around and not making proper thermal contact with the CPU.

schoondoggy

Min and MAx, I used NOCTUA thermal paste one of the best in the market, Seeing around I think this CPU is normal between 70C and up

Did you check to confirm that the heat-sink was not warped?

Make sure the thermal paste is a very thin layer, 

schoondoggy

Last week I finally updated my Gen8 with the E3-1265L "V1" from ebay mentioned in other posts... so  I added a fan to the stock heatsink like other users did:

IMG_20151126_163331212_zpslh2bwfrz.jpg

IMG_20151126_163350279_zpshy98zsry.jpg

IMG_20151126_163420684_zpsunchyyn2.jpg

IMG_20151126_221913466_zpsbk5pxmjy.jpg

IMG_20151126_222013542_zpsnxa5ereg.jpg

IMG_20151126_222022504_zpsmeumvap7.jpg

IMG_20151126_222300080_zpscz3dhrao.jpg

I had to cut the fan due to this motherboard connector but as you can see it now fits perfectly without a need of any extra fixation points.

Very nice!

Do the tabs hold it in place?

• Like 1

Hello !

excuse me but what are the cable adaptors to buy to connect a standard heatsink/fan ( i bought a Zalman CNPS2X) to the dvd drive power connector ??

Or any othere easier way to do it ? i don't have the skills to do an Y spit cable like Overcoat.

Btw where the Molex is connected here ? a Floppy power adapter cable to molex is missing ? i'm confused...

Thank you for your help.  :)

Edited by minimom

its clearly not contacting properly if it reaches 105

the stock heatsink will do a better job with no fan on it

geez

Akasa works nice, but even in full power plus the stock fan at 70% CPU gets to 105C :-) frying eggs

image.png