RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Don W

Broken external hard drive circuit card

Technogod

Only if you used the drive encryption option would you not be able to read the data on the drive.

BSR

Thats a NAS drive.. Not an external drive.

Correct -- I forget how many different versions they make.... 

I have still had USB MyBook units that I was unable to read, once removed.  I'm not sure what system they use, but on the last one I finally got the data back when I put the drive into an identical MyBook that worked (first one died).

Don W

Thanks everyone for all the advice, here are answers to most of the questions.

The drive it self is perfectly fine.

The circuit board that got broken was from the USB enclosure.

This is an HGST 4TB USB portable drive, I think the are owned by WD but not sure.

Knoppix did not help.

Like BSR mentioned, I had thought about buying another Ext HD from HGST and taking it apart just to be able to use the circuit card and pull the data off my drive but I hoped there was another way.

Thanks

ikon

Out of curiousity, since no one has mentioned it, have you checked Disk Manager to see if it offers the choice of initialising the disk?

Also, even though Windows may not recognise the disk, I suspect you could clone the disk to another drive using something like Acronis (I often use a bootable Acronis Recovery DVD); you know, so you could play with the drive, and try things, without worrying about losing the data forever. :)

georges83

@donwieber: I think for your HGST 4TB hard drive you should use the HDD regenerator tool that would help to repair your hard drive if it is not broken physically as it repairs the bad or damaged sectors of the hard drive and help to recover the data from the hard drive and moreover it also solves the problem of hard drive if it is not detected by the computer.