RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Don W

Broken external hard drive circuit card

Don W

I dropped my HGST 4TB enclosure and my drive stopped working so I took it apart and seen my circuit card has a piece broken off of it. Does anyone know of any software that will allow me to plug the hard drive into my computer and move the files off of it to another drive???

Thanks

Don

jmwills

Windows Explorer, Robocopy, AllwaySync, TerraCopy........

Don W

The problem is when you take a drive out of a USB enclosure, Windows does not recognize the file system and wants to format the drive to it's file system.

BSR

I dropped my HGST 4TB enclosure and my drive stopped working so I took it apart and seen my circuit card has a piece broken off of it. Does anyone know of any software that will allow me to plug the hard drive into my computer and move the files off of it to another drive???

Thanks

Don

Are we talking the card that's part of the enclosure, or one that's on the back of the actual drive? 

I once used an identical WD enclosure to pull the data from a dead one.  That may be what you need to do, if the unit is still being made.

Pancakes

The problem is when you take a drive out of a USB enclosure, Windows does not recognize the file system and wants to format the drive to it's file system.

What are you talking about? you can take drive out of enclosures and use them in a PC if you want. I and many other people do it all the time

BSR

What are you talking about? you can take drive out of enclosures and use them in a PC if you want. I and many other people do it all the time

Well you can always re-partition and reformat a drive, but I think he wants to read the data from the drive to save it. 

Some enclosures use proprietary file systems that only work with their enclosure.  Western Digital MyBook enclosures are like that -- you can't just take the drive out and read it.

Pancakes

Well you can always re-partition and reformat a drive, but I think he wants to read the data from the drive to save it. 

Some enclosures use proprietary file systems that only work with their enclosure.  Western Digital MyBook enclosures are like that -- you can't just take the drive out and read it.

If the drive was formatted in NTFS or FAT32 in windows then windows would read it just as usual. You can take the drive out of a Mybook as long as its not one of those built in USB ones, it will work fine

Edited by Pancakes

BSR

If the drive was formatted in NTFS or FAT32 in windows then windows would read it just as usual. You can take the drive out of a Mybook as long as its not one of those built in USB ones, it will work fine

I'm not certain that ALL of them are proprietary, but the ones I have experience with certainly are.  You have to install WD's software to talk to them via USB and just removing the drive and putting it into a PC or another enclosure won't get you the data....one reason I started recommending my customers don't use those.  If the enclosure dies you're screwed, even though the drives might be perfectly fine....which is essentially the predicament the OP is in.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1391/~/reformatting-a-wd-nas-drive-as-fat32,-ntfs,-or-a-mac-file-system

Pancakes

Thats a NAS drive.. Not an external drive.

schoondoggy

If Windows is asking to reformat, try accessing the drive with Knoppix.

You make a bootable disk with Knoppix, boot your machine with it and hopefully you will see your drive.