RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Lenovo ThinkServer

talldave

Anyone have good/bad things to say about the Lenovo TS130 or TS430?

Coming Soon...  (announced this week)... TS140 and TS440

The ThinkServer TS140 is available beginning in September starting at $421.
The ThinkServer TS440 is available beginning in September starting at $679.

Specs look great.   http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/servers/thinkserver/ts-series/ts140

Xeon E3-1200 V3 CPU

16 TB max. HDD (4 3.5" bays)

32 GB max. RAM (4 slots)

I'm considering replacing my HP N40L MicroServer.   Why not HP Gen8 MicroServer or ML310e?   Expensive drive-caddy and ILO Essentials license are deterrents.

Not impressed, it has official support for Xeon 12xx and 32GB ram, that HP Microserver does not. But for my needs non of these works (HP or Lenovo) - But later today my FUJITSU PRIMERGY TX120 S3P will arrive that has the same footprint as HP Microserver (when you have two) but offers impressive featureset.

Tall Dave, 

I think the Lenovo's look pretty good and offer some good features.  I would GUESS (thats all it is as I haven't dug into it) that for the prices you have listed you are going to get one of the Pentium or I3 based units not the Xeon.  I still keep thinking that Fujitsu made a Xeon based "micro" server that looked EXACTLY like these not long ago that were VERY well priced.

Direktorn,

Congrats on a slick new machine.  I would guess that the above Lenovos may be a lot closer to the price of your unit if they were equipped with the same CPU.  Only thing that would be a consideration is that it only has 2 3.5 bays.  With todays drive capacities & external cases thats not such a issue really I guess.  Does the front of yours open/slide and expose the two hot swap bays & front console port?  I have seen one online that did and it looks SWEET.  

Great news!  I found this on the specs sheet! "Tower to rack mounting kits are available for most TX systems to help you move to a consolidated  rack infrastructure." :)  Sorry just joking my friend!!  

Tall Dave, 

I think the Lenovo's look pretty good and offer some good features.  I would GUESS (thats all it is as I haven't dug into it) that for the prices you have listed you are going to get one of the Pentium or I3 based units not the Xeon.  I still keep thinking that Fujitsu made a Xeon based "micro" server that looked EXACTLY like these not long ago that were VERY well priced.

Direktorn,

Congrats on a slick new machine.  I would guess that the above Lenovos may be a lot closer to the price of your unit if they were equipped with the same CPU.  Only thing that would be a consideration is that it only has 2 3.5 bays.  With todays drive capacities & external cases thats not such a issue really I guess.  Does the front of yours open/slide and expose the two hot swap bays & front console port?  I have seen one online that did and it looks SWEET.  

Great news!  I found this on the specs sheet! "Tower to rack mounting kits are available for most TX systems to help you move to a consolidated  rack infrastructure." :)  Sorry just joking my friend!!

I don't think you can put backplanes in the top of the Lenovo, they are spaced

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was looking to purchase another HP Proliant N54L as a backup to my current one.   Newegg was running a special for US$289 with a $50 MIR.   I hate MIR's.   I saw the Lenova Thinkserver with the i3-4130 on Newegg for about the same price with a MIR.  I checked around and found it on Amazon for US$233 with free shipping and no MIR.

Comparing the TS140 with the i3-4130 processor @3.4GHz to the Proliant N54L with the Turion @2.5GHz; I thought the TS140 is a better product for the following reasons:

1. The TS140 has remote access built in.  I had to purchase a separate RAC for the N54L that cost about $US80 and is a pain in the A**.  The RAC takes up a PCIE slot in the N54L.

2. The TS140 Takes up to 32GB of ECC compliant PC3-12800 UDIMM @ 1600mhz natively without problems while the N54L can only take a max of 16GB of PC3-10600 Non-ECC DIMM @ 1333mHz only if you use a Hacked Mod BIOS.

3. The TS140 has 3 PCIE and 1 PCI slot vs only 2 PCIE in the N54L.

4. The TS140 has 6 USB 3.0 ports external & 2 USB 2.0 ports where the N54L has no USB3.0 ports.  I had to purchase a seperate PCIE card to get 3 external USB 3.0 ports & 1 internal port for the N54L.   Along with the RAC, this used up all the slots in the N54L so I cannot add more cards or features.

5. The TS140 has 2 Display Ports & Audio In/Out/Mic ports along with the Serial Port and VGA port where the N54L has no Audio, no Display ports or HDMI ports, and only a VGA port.   This is a critical feature if you want to make a media server directly connected to a HDTV or other Home Theatre system.

6. The TS140 comes with a DVD reader/burner where the N54L does not.  I have an ICY Dock with a 2.5" SSD and 3.5" SSD in the N54L for the OS and Programs.   The TS140 has an extra 5.25" Bay for a Blue-Ray reader/burner or an ICY Dock for the OS also.  The TS140 can have both.

7. The TS140 has 6 SATA ports on the MB where the N54 has fewer.  I have 6 drives in my N54L only by utilizing my eSATA port which prevents me from accessing external drives through that port.

8. The TS140 supports port forwarding on the board.  I do not believe that the N54L does that.

9. The TS140 has a better on-board graphics chip than the N54L which supports 1080P video.

10. The TS140 with the i3-4130 is a faster, stronger processor than the Turion in the N54L.   If you want, you can actually upgrade the processor since the processor is not soldered in like on the N54L.

11. Larger power supply (280 watts vs. 150 watts) in the TS140 to allow for other additional cards like a graphics card. 

12. The TS140 natively supports raid 0,1,5, 10 while I believe that the N54L only supports raid 0,1.  I could be wrong on the N54L.  I have 2X raid 1 arrays in my N54L.

13. The TS140 has 2X SATA III ports and 4X SATA II ports vs the N54L only has SATA II ports and those have to be unlocked with the Hacked Mod BIOS.

The areas where the N54L is better are:

1. Smaller footprint for the N54L in terms of height and depth.

2. More drive bays in the N54L (4X3.5" bays) vs. 3X3.5" bays for the TS140 (a bay caddy insert has to be put in to make it accessible from the front).  There is space in the TS140 to add more drive bays to make it equivalent or more than the N54L.

3. Better technical support from HP than from Lenova.

4. More active forums with more intelligent people for the HP Proliant Microservers than for the Lenova Thinkservers.

This last item is important to me since I appreciate all the ideas and techniques I learned at the HomeServerShow.com forum.  Unfortunately, the pros for the TS140 outweigh the pros for the N54L.  I went with the purchase of the TS140 because I will save money for better performance with the TS140.   People here may ask why I didn't go to the Proliant G8.   The TS140 with the Xeon processor is less money than the G8 and it has more features too.

The ability to have 32GB of DIMM is important to me because it allows me to have ramdisk and be able to use that to make a hybrid drive for the OS with excellent boot performance and very large space for other programs.

I like the fact that I don't have to add in things like a RAC and USB3.0 cards which cost money and us up slots on the MB.   The TS140 appears to be a more versatile machine than the N54L at the expense of compactness and community.

Appreciate your responses on this.

The TS140 looks great, Lenovo builds good servers. The price is around $100 less than everyone else.

Lenovo has good documentation, users guides and service manuals

http://support.lenovo.com/en_CH/product-and-parts/detail.page?DocID=PD029241

The only odd thing I have found with the TS130 and now the TS140 is that the 5.25 drive bays are separated by a bar. This is a minor thing but it does limit some of your storage choices.

I have had trouble getting info on how this TS140 server performs and the quirks.   Maybe because it is a relatively new machine and there are not a lot of them in service with people who post about them.   I would have liked to get the Xeon processor version but they wanted US$300 more for that.   I saw the post by Talldave about one for US$300 but that site now is selling them for about $550.  

I got a deal on eBay for 32Gb of Wintec pc3-12800 ECC UDIMM ram in 4X8GB sticks for US$255.   That was normally US$425 at Newegg.com.  I needed more memory than the 4GB that comes with the server.   I guess I will wait and see if I can find a deal on a Xeon processor to put in this server and upgrade. 

I am looking at dual or quad gigabit ethernet PCIe cards for this server.   I would like to increase my IO capabilities.  The spec sheet says that this server can be expanded to take up to 8 ethernet lines. I don't have a lot of experience on setting up the interface to allow me to utilize more ethernet lines and which cards are better.   Can anyone suggest some good cards and a source to go to for information on how to set this up to work for me?   I know that the better cards allow automatic assignment of a separate MAC address for each port and that they allow gigabit communications each way simultaneously.  I need info on how to set up the server and network to allow that simultaneous communication to occur.  

Right now with my N54L, I am limited to the one gigabit ethernet port on the server to send data to/from the network.   I have the external drives connected to the server by USB3.0 so they are only limited by the speed of the drives for transfers inside the server.   The single ethernet line is the bottleneck for the network.   I want to "fix" that problem with this new Thinkserver TS140.