RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Nokia Lumia 520 for $85

joem

Will I have to get this phone unlocked before I use it?  Or is it really just a simple as inserting my SIM from my cheap go phone?

msawyer91

Will I have to get this phone unlocked before I use it?  Or is it really just a simple as inserting my SIM from my cheap go phone?

The SIM that comes with the phone (not installed in the phone itself, but packaged with it) says AT&T Go Phone. If you have an AT&T Go Phone SIM now, it should be as simple as a swap. It will also accept a "standard" (not a Go Phone) SIM -- my phone line associated with the iPhone 5 is under contract for another 22 months so the fact that the Nokia worked with that SIM tells me it'll accept both Go and non-Go SIMs.

If your SIM is with a carrier other than AT&T, you might want to check into that a little more deeply. Being it's sold without any contractual obligation makes me think it's probably not locked to a specific carrier, but you might want to check on that. Just go to the MS store and ask. They might even let you test your SIM in one of their floor model demo phones. You'll know in a mighty hurry if it's going to work.

msawyer91

Thanks msawyer91.  I can't see how I could go wrong with this.  At $99 dollars and getting all that functionality you can't go wrong.  Pop the Sim in and away I go!  I will also use it to replace my old ipod touch.  I have always been frugal (cheapskate) and never could see paying out $100 a month for the few phone calls I make and receive.  The other stuff I can do on my computers.  With this AT&T cheap go phone all I pay is $25 every three months.  Now I can do that and get the benefits of a hand held computer to boot!

Just be careful so you don't start racking up data plan charges. The phone works on wi-fi, yes, but if you get a bunch of apps regularly checking things like email, the weather, stocks, etc. and then you go into a non wi-fi area, it'll start munching on the data plan. If your Go Phone plan doesn't have a data plan, I would hope it blocks any internet attempts. Otherwise you're going to incur some hefty per-MB charges.

Looking at the Go Phone literature that came with my Nokia 520, the featured plans are $60/month and $40/month. The former includes unlimited calling and texts to the US, and unlimited text to Canada, Mexico and 100 other countries. Lastly it includes 2GB of data; overages are $10 per GB. The latter plan includes 500 talk minutes, and unlimited text to the US, Canada, Mexico and 100 other countries. It includes 200 MB of data, with each additional 100 MB being $5.

Also available, in smaller print, are $50/month for unlimited talk and text, no data or $25/month for 250 minutes and unlimited text. On that last plan, data can be added @ $5 per 50 MB.

I don't see anything about a "cheapskate" (your words, not mine ;)) plan of $25 for 3 months. Maybe you're grandfathered in to an older plan. Of course, if you're going from a "traditional" cell phone to a "smartphone" then you might be tempted to ratchet it up into a higher plan.

joem

Thanks for the info msayer91.  I would just want the phone calls to come in and out of it.  I would use the other features with wifi.  I would just have to make sure that it is disconnected from the cellular network for that activity I suppose. 

ikon

Is it even possible to tell the phone to not do any data stuff except via Wi-Fi? I'm not sure it is...

jcollison

Yep. Under settings - cellular you can turn data on or off.

posted from the Lumia 520 at 34,000 feet

ikon

Thanks Jim. Just to clarify my ignorance, does turning data off disable it for only the cell, or is it phone-wide (i.e. no data allowed, Wi-Fi or cell)?