RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Nokia Lumia 520 for $85

Dave

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8512151&sku=YTT-101760188

It might show $99 on the page but add it to your cart and it will be $85 with free shipping.  Verified.

We just discussed this on HSS and Surface Geeks podcast!  Great deal.

Need it unlocked?

https://fireunlocks.com/cart/item/parent/1008/imei/1/47d1e990583c9c67424d369f3414728e/ATampT-Nokia-Lumia-520.html

FiLiNuX

Does this phone only have 512 MB?  I like the shape/design of the case a lot but WHY would they leave out something like a LED/Flash for the camera?  

Seems like a GREAT PRICE to try out WP8 and/or get into a smart phone!!  Nice find. 

jcollison

Darn.  I paid $99.  Great deal on a good phone.

petermarker
This phone is compatible with pre-paid / no-contract providers other than AT&T as well. It can be unlocked for free or for ~$2.

AT&T MVNO's (service resellers): AirVoice, good2GO, H20, NET10, Red Pocket, TracFone, StraightTalk and Cricket.

T-Mobile service resellers: GIV, GoSmart, TracFone, Lyca, MetroPCS, PTel, Ready SIM, StraightTalk, Solavei, Simple Mobile, Ultra Mobile
Edited by HSS-Dave
1st post link spam

WireBoy

Sold out now... bummer.  I was about to pull the trigger on this great deal.  $99 is still a good price, but $85 was psychologically sooooo much cheaper  :D

Nnyan

It's back down to $89 in TD, and they also have another bundle deal (with some AV software I've never heard of) that takes the price down to $54 (if you're willing to wait for the $60 MIR from the AV vendor, which I wasn't).  Also keep an eye on the MS store they have it there normally for $99 (free ship and returns) and occasionally drop it down on sale.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Nokia-Lumia-520-No-Contract-for-AT-T/productID.283842800&pid=CYF-00137?mr:trackingCode=0E6868AD-0705-E311-B773-BC305BF933C0&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=15239889307&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=21844073347&tid=2iYORhOz_dc&cid=5250&pcrid=15239889307&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=pointitsem_Microsoft+US_google_PLA+-+All+Other&WT.source=google&WT.medium=cpc&origin=pla

joem

Could I take the sim card out of my cheap AT&T Go phone and insert it into this 520 and be good to go?

msawyer91

Does this phone only have 512 MB?  I like the shape/design of the case a lot but WHY would they leave out something like a LED/Flash for the camera?  

Seems like a GREAT PRICE to try out WP8 and/or get into a smart phone!!  Nice find. 

I bought one of these at the Microsoft store a month ago. I wanted to have a Windows Phone for testing Toasty with Home Server SMART and I just needed an entry-level phone and, more importantly, I didn't want a contract for a testing phone. I couldn't pass up a $99 no-contract phone! It has 8 GB memory and I popped in an extra micro SD card for music so I can use the phone as an iPod-in-a-pinch.

Not sure why'd they'd leave off the LED/flash. If I had to guess, it's probably because it's meant to be an entry-level phone. All of the other Windows Phones in the MS store were $199+ and all required contracts, which meant the retail price was likely at least $299 sans contract. So for $99 and no commitment, it was hard for me to complain.

Could I take the sim card out of my cheap AT&T Go phone and insert it into this 520 and be good to go?

Yes, you should be able to. The 520 comes with a Go Phone SIM card, so you should be able to use your already-active SIM. There's no requirement that you use a Go Phone SIM. For fun, I popped the micro SIM card out of my iPhone 5 and very carefully lined it up in the SIM card slot in the 520 (it's quite a bit smaller), powered it on and it worked flawlessly. I made calls and used Internet-powered apps sans wi-fi.

joem

Thanks msawyer91.  I can't see how I could go wrong with this.  At $99 dollars and getting all that functionality you can't go wrong.  Pop the Sim in and away I go!  I will also use it to replace my old ipod touch.  I have always been frugal (cheapskate) and never could see paying out $100 a month for the few phone calls I make and receive.  The other stuff I can do on my computers.  With this AT&T cheap go phone all I pay is $25 every three months.  Now I can do that and get the benefits of a hand held computer to boot!