RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 Install Fix for HP Microserver and Integrated Network Card

So, the way I read your post, they have closed the ticket and told you to buy another NIC or wait for an unspecified time for an update. Is that a correct interpretation? 

BTW, I have also raised a ticket on 26 Oct and will await HP's response after the weekend. MY N40L is under warranty, so have raised it against that box.

Yes, you are quite right. They didn't specify update time. My N54L is under warranty too. It's interesting to know what they will recommend for you :)

I hope they'll be quick. I got the answer next day the ticket was registered. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anji

• fejhog

• ikon

• oceang

Top Posters In This Topic

So some goods and some bad news for anyone owning a G7 Microserver.

I got a response out of HPSC today by going via online chat, after HP appear to have lost my original case that was submitted via email.

Anyway, the response was:

I checked my internal resources and found the information about the drivers for 2012 R2. The driver for Windows 2012 R2 is still in a testing phase and full functional drivers are expected to be released sometime in December of this year.

However, I see the server you have is a G7 server and as per the OS support matrix G7 server is not tested for MS Windows 2012 installation.

Please check the OS support matrix from the below link-

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/windows/index.html.

For HP Proliant N40L G7 MicroServer So 2012 R2 may not be tested as it is not a recommended OS for this model.

So if HP don't address this issue for Gen 7 servers, then both Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 will both require the onboard NIC to be disabled and a PCIe NIC installed. This is a feasible workaround if the PCIe 1 slot is free, else it is most disappointing.

Anyway, in summary, its looks like it will be at least December before we know much more.

I can put a NIC into one of my servers, but the other two are a problem.

Edited by oceang
  • 1 month later...

Anyway, in summary, its looks like it will be at least December before we know much more.

You were right!

HP has published BIOS update and I confirm that it works with Windows 8.1 on my N54L :)

Windows Server 2012 R2 surely will run also

to topicstarter: mark title as solved please

• 2 weeks later...
markjustmark

I can confirm that this firmware works on an N40L with 2012 R2.

I was running 2012 R2 on my N40L with an extra network card and the onboard NIC disabled.

I applied the firmware upgrade and booted with the same configuration (just to make sure).

Then I shut down, removed the extra NIC, enabled the onboard NIC and booted back up.

All good.

Mark

• 1 month later...

I was having all kinds of problems getting 2012 R2 essentials installed on my Micro server the nic jsut wouldn't work no matter what but I finally found a fix:

download and install CP021170.exe (nic driver) -  http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?lang=en&cc=us&sp4ts.oid=3949981&swItem=MTX_0ba14f14ca97474793fa60f269

Download SP64420.exe (ROM PAK update) ** Requires a USB drive that will need to be formatted ** - http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_bd9b6997fbc7fc515f4cf4626f5c8d01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DswItem%253DMTX_57720d956df94dfcbaa0e28256&javax.portlet.tpst=bd9b6997fbc7fc515f4cf4626f5c8d01&sp4ts.oid=4248009&ac.admitted=1391186469848.876444892.199480143

Run SP64420.exe it will extract some files and open a web page click on teh link to create teh bootable USB update drive.

Once complete reboot your server (leave teh USB drive attached)

The USB drive will load and perform several ROM updates. and finish leaving you at a DOS prompt c:\

Press control alt delte to restart