RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 Install Fix for HP Microserver and Integrated Network Card

This is very weird.

You install the driver and update the firmware when you were in safe mode ? (not clear to me in your workflow)

He told me that the firmware updater told him that his hardware was up to date too (as for me and my N40L).

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Anji

• fejhog

• ikon

• oceang

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right - I skipped a couple of steps in my workflow.  Sorry about that.

But yes, while in Safe Mode I installed the driver manually.  This worked and changed the name of the device in the Device manager window.

Then I installed the Firmware update.  Which did not error but did not install as it said that the firmware on the hardware devices were up to date.  Which seems kind of strange since I got this server before the new firmware could be released.

So then I rebooted in Normal mode and it booted successfully.  But trying to install the firmware ended up with the same result as the Safe Mode attempt.  So now I'm left with a device that appears to work and be recognized by the OS but Windows does not actually detect a connection on the device.

I may try one reinstall of the essentials tonight and start over from scratch.  But if I can't get it to go then I'll just give up and put in a different NIC.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

Found a link to this forum when I was Googling around to find a solution for this bug and have even tried the driver here with NO success what so ever!

I´m running an N36L and I got it installed when the onboard NIC is disabled in the BIOS, when I then switch it on the startup is freezing... =/
Now I´m waiting for my new dual NIC HP NC360T to get it up and running! :D

At this point it seems pretty clear that the onboard NIC is a no go, for now. I think people should just plan on using a 3rd party NIC right from the start, if they want to run R2 now.

• 2 weeks later...
NetworkNoob

Has anyone had any success with this?

I just entered the Microserver world last week. My original intention was that I was going to get a NAS so that I could put all of media on it and stream it throughout the house rather then leaving a beefy desktop running 24/7.

But then, while searching, I read about the N54L. Not only did I get a better overall price, but I also like the idea that I can grow into it and expand what I'm doing.

Anyway, I'd really hate to have to go buy an external nic, but if I must, I was considering a very cheap one like the tg-3468 (12.49 at Amazon with free Prime shipping).

Of course, I do have access to MSDN and could revert to just the regular Server 2012 Essentials if that works too.

I am, now, a bit of a purist on NICs. I've had so many little niggling issues with different makes that I pretty much stick with Intel. For example, WHS Client Recovery requires the loading of drivers for many NICs, but not for Intel; at least, not the typical Intel NICs you find in desktop computers (e.g. Intel Pro/CT 1000). The good news is that these NICs can be had for less than $30US.

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been any progress on this issue. I now have had this issue on two of my microservers, one brand new with Windows Server 2012 R2, and one running successfully on Windows 8 Pro for some time, but stalled on upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro. I have a temporary workaround in place, USB wireless, in both cases, so I can continue my testing, but really want to get a proper resolution without buying NICs, as I have another 2 microservers to come after these two. HP did state they were working with Microsoft on this, but all my searching of the web shows nothing but silence from both parties.

Anyone heard anything?

Has there been any progress on this issue. I now have had this issue on two of my microservers, one brand new with Windows Server 2012 R2, and one running successfully on Windows 8 Pro for some time, but stalled on upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro. I have a temporary workaround in place, USB wireless, in both cases, so I can continue my testing, but really want to get a proper resolution without buying NICs, as I have another 2 microservers to come after these two. HP did state they were working with Microsoft on this, but all my searching of the web shows nothing but silence from both parties.

Anyone heard anything?

I have the same issue with my N54L on Windows 8. On Oct 22 I've registered the ticket in HP support center.

Comments added: 23.10.2013 10:48:34

CU agreed to close case and try workaround.

Will re-open if needed.

Comments added: 23.10.2013 10:47:19

Called CU Sergey.

Explained known workarounds regarding issue.

Deactivation and replacement of NIC also presented as options.

CU agreed to close case.

Comments added: 22.10.2013 15:58:38

RBIR raw output: Servers|124|HP ProLiant MicroServer|124|WA

System Type: Servers

Problem Area: HP ProLiant MicroServer

Contract Level: WA

Comments added: 22.10.2013 15:58:34

Installing Windows Server 2012 R2 on MicroServer stucks at "Getting Device Ready ...%"

Workaround mentioned was to disable built-in NIC during installation and reenable it post. This did not help.

HP engineer also told me that firmware update soon will be.  

I have the same issue with my N54L on Windows 8. On Oct 22 I've registered the ticket in HP support center.

So, the way I read your post, they have closed the ticket and told you to buy another NIC or wait for an unspecified time for an update. Is that a correct interpretation? 

BTW, I have also raised a ticket on 26 Oct and will await HP's response after the weekend. MY N40L is under warranty, so have raised it against that box.

Edited by oceang