RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Initial impressions of Essentials R2?

It can be a second internal or a card but it you share using the virtual NIC you will be ramming your head into the wall with anytime access. I spent hours playing with that and all went well once I install a second NIC, assigned the internal NIC the proper DNS settings and used the second NIC for all the VM Stuff.

Pcdoc, would you mind detailing how you did this? I think I may be dealing with the same issue.

My server has 2 NICs. An Intel and Atheros. Currently only the Atheros is enabled. Server has a static IP 192.168.0.5 with gateway 192.168.0.1 which is my pfsense router. Server also set to static DNS 192.168.0.5 (itself). Everything works perfectly, including Anywhere Access UNTIL I enable the Intel NIC on my motherboard. Suddenly AA breaks before I can even install the Hyper-V role.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Drashna Jaelre

• daveyboy37

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah sorry my sarcastic tone was obviously lost during typing.     It may be anything causing my issues including operator error but Benjamiah having identical issues suggests otherwise.  The re

Pcdoc, would you mind detailing how you did this? I think I may be dealing with the same issue.

My server has 2 NICs. An Intel and Atheros. Currently only the Atheros is enabled. Server has a static IP 192.168.0.5 with gateway 192.168.0.1 which is my pfsense router. Server also set to static DNS 192.168.0.5 (itself). Everything works perfectly, including Anywhere Access UNTIL I enable the Intel NIC on my motherboard. Suddenly AA breaks before I can even install the Hyper-V role.

I believe the DNS settings are wrong. DNS should be set to 127.0.0.1 on your primary NIC not the IP of the server.  That is the default setting for Sever essentials.  It would also help if you posted a screen shot of the adapters screen.  What I was describing only happens after the Hyper V install so I am guessing your issues is with your NIC card settings.  

bjyf.png

For Directaccess to work on WSE, the NIC must be assigned a static IP and the DNS must be the static IP of the server. In my case 192.168.0.5. I think MS did this to ensure the DA server assigns the DA clients the IP of the server for their DNS.

I believe the DNS settings are wrong. DNS should be set to 127.0.0.1 on your primary NIC not the IP of the server.  That is the default setting for Sever essentials.  It would also help if you posted a screen shot of the adapters screen.  What I was describing only happens after the Hyper V install so I am guessing your issues is with your NIC card settings.  

pcdoc, per your request, I've uploaded some screens of my current R2 setup.  I've just done a new install w/ only 1 of my 2 onboard NICs enabled.  Anywhere Access is configured and working fine.  I didn't want to enable my Intel NIC #2 and dedicate it to Hyper-V until I know how you did it.  Also I have ports 80, 443 and 4125 all forwarded to my server on static IP 192.168.0.5.  Thanks again.

WSE2012R2 NIC Settings

WSE2012R2 NIC Settings

WSE2012R2 NIC Adapter Screen

pcdoc, I've since uploaded into my Gallery screen captures of my R2 server including settings for NIC 1, NIC 2 and the virtual switch Hyper-V created after dedicating NIC 2 (intel) to Hyper-V.   since enabling NIC 2 and dedicating it to Hyper-V, when I try to setup Anywhere Access, it returns:

Issues detected. Click repair to attempt resolving the issues.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/gallery/album/65-miles267/

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Edited by Jason