RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Initial impressions of Essentials R2?

Yeah I will link them up asap, its been along day..mmm i did just notice this. 

http://thedocsworld.net/anytime-access-problems-on-windows-server-2012-essentials-r2-preview/

Makes me wonder if opening more ports would have helped,

After 3 attempts I kind of lost the will to care! :(

At the end of the day my S2012E is simply a replacement for my home server. As long as I can connect remotely and stream to my various Plex devices and run DrivePool, I'm covered.

As I mentioned it was probably a foolish move to try to upgrade from something that works so well.  :D

I was initially challenged by getting this work.   What solved for me was opening 3 ports (only one of which is in the documentation).  80, 443, 4125.  In addition, if something went wrong with the initial config or if you installed the Hyper V role you will have to check that hyper v is on a dedicated NIC and not sharing the main NIC,  Check that the actual adapter that routes out to make sure it goes to the correct DNS so your server main card is set to 127.0.0.1 otherwise noting will work.  If you do all that and your router is working correctly, it will work for you.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Drashna Jaelre

• daveyboy37

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah sorry my sarcastic tone was obviously lost during typing.     It may be anything causing my issues including operator error but Benjamiah having identical issues suggests otherwise.  The re

I was initially challenged by getting this work.   What solved for me was opening 3 ports (only one of which is in the documentation).  80, 443, 4125.  In addition, if something went wrong with the initial config or if you installed the Hyper V role you will have to check that hyper v is on a dedicated NIC and not sharing the main NIC,  Check that the actual adapter that routes out to make sure it goes to the correct DNS so your server main card is set to 127.0.0.1 otherwise noting will work.  If you do all that and your router is working correctly, it will work for you.

Thanks for the tips. Personally the first version of 2012 essentials is working so well, I'm not inclined to mess around any more. :P

Thanks for the tips. Personally the first version of 2012 essentials is working so well, I'm not inclined to mess around any more. :P

Can't blame you for that, not sure I would either if I was messing with my primary box.  I am working off to the side so I can take my time and experiment.  I am also coming from 2011 so the leap is a bit bigger.  Good luck.

pcdoc, does this mean you couldn't share the WSE2012R2 host's NIC with the VM?  In other words to have network connectivity in the VM, it must have it's own physical NIC?  My Gigabit Z77 motherboard has 2 NICs, but I've historically disabled one in the BIOS because it interferes with the DirectAccess setup. 

pcdoc, does this mean you couldn't share the WSE2012R2 host's NIC with the VM?  In other words to have network connectivity in the VM, it must have it's own physical NIC?  My Gigabit Z77 motherboard has 2 NICs, but I've historically disabled one in the BIOS because it interferes with the DirectAccess setup. 

It can be a second internal or a card but it you share using the virtual NIC you will be ramming your head into the wall with anytime access.  I spent hours playing with that and all went well once I install a second NIC, assigned the internal NIC the proper DNS settings and used the second NIC for all the VM Stuff.

ESXi can run with one NIC, but like doc said, I would HIGHLY suggest you run the VM's on their own NIC card or virtual switch as Microsoft refers to it.

If you dedicate a physical gigabit NIC to hyper-V VM, will it now give you 1 Gbps speeds or does it still limit to 10 or 100 Mbps or whatever the virtual driver reported?

Think of that NIC as a switch, so whatever the speed of the NIC is the speed of the virtual switch.  Once you leave that boundary, you are controlledby the speed of the next NIC.

The NIC is only reporting at 100Mbps?  Remember the speed will between the VM's

Just curious... What's the issue with DirectAccess?  I installed Essentials R2 RTM two days ago and got DA and SSTP working although originally I thought I had an issue because I was getting an error with the certificate revocation server.  The CA I used, CACert.org has a CRL that's about 6 megs and the VPN client doesn't wait long enough for it to download and then ends up giving me this error: "0x80092013 Revocation Server Offline" Even though I knew it was online by looking at the CRL Distribution Point directly.  Anyways, I downloaded the CRL manually and used certutil to import it.

I currently have an open DirectAccess ticket with Microsoft professional support that they've been actively working for approx. 30 days. I feel compelled to keep it open for the good of the Technet community and fellow E12 users but am getting antsy to install R2.

In WSE2012, DirectAccess has a tendency to operate without issue for a period of time, then clients can suddenly stop establishing Workplace Connections out of nowhere without any server or client config changes or Windows updates. In my case, Microsoft unable to determine root cause after 4 wks of detailed analysis with direct remote login access to my server. It appears the client us unable to obtain the DNS server address so the DA client cannot resolve the address of the web probes in order to properly establish a connection. When DA works, it's the best feature of WSE. When it breaks, it seems to only be resolved via a reinstall.