RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Initial impressions of Essentials R2?

It's not usable 

1: Remote Access doesn't work like WSE 2012. Access Anywhere tab doesn't work - yet - I can still login remotely - weird. 

2: BIG issue with Server disappearing from the Devices Tab. 

3: That said Drivepool works. Drivebender doesn't work perfectly - it gives up an error in services saying drive bender helper couldn't start etc...

Tried 3 installs - 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Drashna Jaelre

• daveyboy37

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah sorry my sarcastic tone was obviously lost during typing.     It may be anything causing my issues including operator error but Benjamiah having identical issues suggests otherwise.  The re

It's not usable 

1: Remote Access doesn't work like WSE 2012. Access Anywhere tab doesn't work - yet - I can still login remotely - weird. 

2: BIG issue with Server disappearing from the Devices Tab. 

3: That said Drivepool works. Drivebender doesn't work perfectly - it gives up an error in services saying drive bender helper couldn't start etc...

Tried 3 installs - 

So pretty much the same experience as me then. No doubt in a few months time when its been fully tested (It is still in beta, right?) I may take another look. But for now, as you mention It's not usable. :mellow: 

Been waiting for RTM. Odd that these issues aren't widely reported as it seems most have had positive experiences with R2. Am making a server backup but moving to R2 tomorrow.

Beta?  NO, it's RTM'd.

Yeah sorry my sarcastic tone was obviously lost during typing. :P

Been waiting for RTM. Odd that these issues aren't widely reported as it seems most have had positive experiences with R2. Am making a server backup but moving to R2 tomorrow.

It may be anything causing my issues including operator error but Benjamiah having identical issues suggests otherwise. 

The remote web access issues ARE widely reported on the technet forums, as are a few other bugs. Also three useless installs over a couple of days and then rolling back to R1 without issue suggests something isn't right. 

I do wish you well with your install and hope you will post back here with results. :D

• Like 1

Daveyboy, appreciate the insight. I may delay my upgrade yet. Might you have a link to the Technet reports on R2 you've been following? Would like to stay close to this. Thanks.

Yeah sorry my sarcastic tone was obviously lost during typing. :P

It may be anything causing my issues including operator error but Benjamiah having identical issues suggests otherwise. 

The remote web access issues ARE widely reported on the technet forums, as are a few other bugs. Also three useless installs over a couple of days and then rolling back to R1 without issue suggests something isn't right. 

I do wish you well with your install and hope you will post back here with results. :D

No problem here.  Have you looked over the Event Logs?  (yea I  know everyone hates that, but...)

Daveyboy, appreciate the insight. I may delay my upgrade yet. Might you have a link to the Technet reports on R2 you've been following? Would like to stay close to this. Thanks.

Yeah I will link them up asap, its been along day..mmm i did just notice this. 

http://thedocsworld.net/anytime-access-problems-on-windows-server-2012-essentials-r2-preview/

Makes me wonder if opening more ports would have helped,

No problem here.  Have you looked over the Event Logs?  (yea I  know everyone hates that, but...)

After 3 attempts I kind of lost the will to care! :(

At the end of the day my S2012E is simply a replacement for my home server. As long as I can connect remotely and stream to my various Plex devices and run DrivePool, I'm covered.

As I mentioned it was probably a foolish move to try to upgrade from something that works so well.  :D

I've never been an early adapter...tester yes.  Odd that 2012 works so well and R2 is having issues.

The transition from 2008 to 2008 R2 was nothing.

Drashna Jaelre

Not what I was hoping to read. Am about to blow away my WSE2012 install for R2. Are others experiencing these basic issues?

I'm running 2012. As I don't want to blow away my entire network.... I'm sticking with not-R2. And considering all the issues with the RTM version that have been reported already

I've never been an early adapter...tester yes.  Odd that 2012 works so well and R2 is having issues.

The transition from 2008 to 2008 R2 was nothing.

By transition, you mean the in place upgrade that was possible.... right? :P