RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Initial impressions of Essentials R2?

Jason

I currently have an open DirectAccess ticket with Microsoft professional support that they've been actively working for approx. 30 days. I feel compelled to keep it open for the good of the Technet community and fellow E12 users but am getting antsy to install R2.

What are initial impressions of those who have already made the jump to E12 R2? Aside from Hyper-V, any immediate benefits over E12?

Trying to decide whether the abandon my open ticket and reinstall or not.

Will Hyper-V programmatically limit the OSes that can be installed in each VM? Would be using in a home environment.

Could see possibility installing a Win 8 Ent VM for testing. Never understood installing server OSes in VMs on a server. Maybe there are good reasons?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2013/09/03/understanding-licensing-for-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-and-the-windows-server-essentials-experience-role.aspx

Basically, for home use, it is "okay" to use hyperV normally, but from a licensing standpoint, only another instance of R2 Essentials.

In fact, the only way you can "legally" do this is with Essentials with none of the "other" Essentials features, and Essentials in a VM.

What is the benefit of installing an R2

VM within Hyper-V on an R2 host?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Not having to buy a 2nd computer. Saving the room needed for a 2nd computer. Running apps that may conflict with other apps on the VM host, or would conflict if they were both run on the same machine. There are others.

What is the benefit of installing an R2

VM within Hyper-V on an R2 host?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

In a corporate environment you can separate tasks for each server (email, DNS, FSMO role DC, additional DCs, file server, etc) and have them running on multiple hardware platforms so if one bare metal (host OS) dies or requires a reboot you either have the backup VMs on another host or you can migrate them to another host. If you ran those all as actual hardware platforms the cost for physical space, HVAC, electricity and equipment purchase (and maintenance) would be exponentially higher.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2013/09/03/understanding-licensing-for-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-and-the-windows-server-essentials-experience-role.aspx

Basically, for home use, it is "okay" to use hyperV normally, but from a licensing standpoint, only another instance of R2 Essentials.

In fact, the only way you can "legally" do this is with Essentials with none of the "other" Essentials features, and Essentials in a VM.

OK, just to be clear...

I was interested in running Server 2012 Essentials for the actual OS and then a virtual machine for Windows 7 or Windows 8 Pro/Media Center pack in order to record live tv because the Server OS does not have media center.

Would Essentials be able to do this?

From what I understand, technically you absolutely can do this. From a licensing standpoint... don't get audited, because you'll be in deep s**t (aka you are not supposed to).  Much the same way you *can* run Server 2012R2 Standard without CALs... You can do it, but you're not supposed to.

From what I understand, technically you absolutely can do this. From a licensing standpoint... don't get audited, because you'll be in deep s**t (aka you are not supposed to).  Much the same way you *can* run Server 2012R2 Standard without CALs... You can do it, but you're not supposed to.

Well would there be anything wrong if I had a license for the Windows 8 Pro I was using and only used it for that virtual instance? Or is the issue with having a virtual machine in the first place?

Also did anything change here between 2012 Essentials and 2012 R2 Essentials? The one I had been thinking of was R2 Essentials.

Now that R2 says that it comes with "Essentials Experience" on Standard and Datacenter editions, would it be better to just get Standard? Would the only disadvantage be the need for CALs? Did I read somewhere that the Standard edition would not be able to act as a DLNA media server and the Essentials would?

Edited by dandys