RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Issue with backing up removable storage on client

schilffarth

I have a laptop with a SSD that is running out of space so I have a 64 GB USB drive that I keep installed as a second drive. I formatted the USB drive NTFS so that WHS would recognize it and add it to the C: for backup. When I went into the backup setup to verify the USB drive was listed, it only saw the C:.

Any ideas why the WHS is not seeing the USB drive on my client?

Thanks.

What do you mean by "so that WHS would recognize it and add it to the C: for backup" ?

Did you go into the WHS DashBoard and reconfigure the backup for that client? BTW, is it WHS v1 or WHS2011?

I probably chose my wording poorly,

My desire is for the WHS to add my D: (the USB drive) to my backed up drives (a list that currently only contains the C:).

This is a WHS v1.

Thanks for your time.

WHS only sees fixed drives on a client.  Connect the USB drive to the server and map a drive from the client to the USB Drive.

The server will be able to backup the portable drive as part of the server backup.

Thanks for the info. I'm using this USB drive as semi-permanent storage expansion for my laptop (it fits almost flush with the case so it's barely noticeable), so plugging it into the server each day kinda defeats the purpose.

Is there any way to spoof it as a fixed drive?

Map the drive......point the library or folders to the mapped location.  The laptop does not know or care where the drive is, only that there is space to do something with,

Leave the drive on the server.

That would work, although I'm wondering if the OP wants to take the USB drive with him when he leaves the house.

I believe there is a way to set up a USB external drive so the system believes it's an HDD. It involves changing the data bit that flags it as removable to mark it as permanent instead. I don't have a link, but you can Bing or Google it. This same trick is used to reformat USB Flash drives so it's possible to create more than 1 partition on them (which Windows won't let you do with removable drives).

Or, you could do what I do and not back any data using WHS2011 backup -- only use it to back up the OS. I use Task Scheduler to run CMD files that run RoboCopy to literally copy all my data to the server. That way it's always available on the server without having to do a Restore, and it doesn't matter where the data is; RoboCopy will copy data to/from any drive that Windows can see.

ikon,

You are correct, being a laptop, I need to take the USB drive with me when I leave the house.

I'll look into the work around you hinted at regarding the data bit flags.

Thanks everyone.