RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kylejwx2

Switch VS Router

jmwills

Lean.....................

I have no use for IPv6 inside the LAN.  The router can handle any QoS functions or VLANs I need to create, which will be very few.  The VPN feature made it all the worthwhile while I am deployed.

This is the switch I ordered.

Just Checking

I purchased a Zytel 24-port unmanaged gigabit switch from Newegg on sale for US$74 with free shipping a while back.   It claims to support IPv6 also.   I don't know that for a fact because IPv4 is the only thing supported by any of the ISP's in the state.  The switch itself has worked flawlessly so far and I couldn't beat the price for a 24-port gigabit switch anywhere. 

ikon

Even if you had an IP6-capable ISP, I wouldn't recommend using IP6, at least not without IP6 Network Address Translation (NAT) in place. Some people will argue that IP6 on both the LAN and WAN is not a problem as long as there's a firewall in place.

I disagree. I want NAT in there too -- IOW, I want both. And I believe the IP6 Steering Committee agrees with me, because they have designated certain IP6 address ranges as Private (i.e. they are not allowed on the Internet). I think the committee has seen how beneficial NAT has been with IP4, so they adjusted the standard to incorporate the feature.

That said, congrats on the switch; glad it's working well for you.

jmwills

The router I have does show the IPV6 addresses in the routing table.