RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kylejwx2

Switch VS Router

pcdoc

Just keep you router and add the switch as suggested.  Your end result will be the same.  You can go with the one you suggested but in terms of performance you will not gain anything.

itGeeks

If you are realy wanting to replace your router for a great all-in-one consumer router check out http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378887725&sr=8-1&keywords=router+asus+rt-n66u

This will give you everything your looking for in one box and works great. I use to use Linksys routers but every since I tryed Asus routers and access points I never looked back but if you dont want to spend 150.00 then as everyone else said just get a good Gigabit switch like the D-Link 5-Port Gigabit Switch (DGS-1005G)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X7TRWE/ref=twister_B003X7TRWO?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have several of these routers and switches installed at family and friends house and they work great!

Edited by Mr Fixit
  • Like 1

ikon

1. I agree with the others: get a good gigabit standalone Ethernet switch. Connect everything directly to it, not the router. Make it the heart of the LAN

2. To add to what schoondoggy said, most consumer wireless routers actually perform at least 4 functions: router, wireless access point, Ethernet switch, and firewall. Some even offer a 5th function: they can act as an Ethernet client (i.e. pretend to be an Ethernet NIC). This makes it possible to connect non-wireless devices, such as a desktop computer, to a wireless network.

msawyer91

I went a more expensive route and purchased an Apple AirPort Extreme and an AirPort Express. I have a Motorola SB6141 where my XFINITY line comes in, and that feeds the AirPort Extreme, which provides solid wifi to nearly the entire condo. I have several gigabit switches, including one upstairs that the AirPort Express is plugged into. One nice thing with the AirPort Utility is that it recognizes the two AirPort devices on the network, and configures them to work flawlessly with each other. The main reason for the Express is to ensure I have wireless access in the garage and out on the deck.

I've tried having mismatched brands (i.e. Cisco vs. D-Link) of routers and range extenders, and they would never seem to stay in harmony with each other. The range extender would mysteriously drop out, requiring a reboot to get it back. With the two AirPorts, I have a setup that just works solid 100% of the time. Always fast, always robust, always available. Yes, Apple is expensive, but not having to reset devices once every day or two is worth it. I also like that they provide a guest network. Since I run a home office and sometimes clients visit, and we also entertain friends and family, so having a guest network is nice.

More importantly, this setup performs all the functions you're seeking -- router, wireless access point, Ethernet (gigabit) switch and firewall. Obviously with the number of computers I have I need multiple gigabit switches, but it's a solid setup. Once I got it fully set up, it's been maintenance free.

jmwills

I added an Asus 66RTNU along with a TP Link 24 port switch back in August.  The router is awesome with its built-in VPN capability allowing me to stream NetFlix here in the desert.  Access to the internal network is flawless.

Jason

I too have an Asus RT66NU router. Haven't tried its built in VPN. How secure is it? Am currently using pfsense OpenVPN.

jmwills

How secure is anything?  It's SSL.

Jason

True. Appears to be 128-bit PPTP. Didn't realize Microsoft SSTP was 2048-bit. Overkill but nice.

jmwills

The only little issue, and it's really not a biggie, is your VPN clients will be on a different subnet than your internal LAN  192.168.0.x vs 192.168.1.x so DNS is hard to resolve.  Just know the IP addresses of the machine you need to connect to and all is well.

Jason

I added an Asus 66RTNU along with a TP Link 24 port switch back in August.  The router is awesome with its built-in VPN capability allowing me to stream NetFlix here in the desert.  Access to the internal network is flawless.

jmwillis, I am looking to expand my home network (currently limited to 8 ports in my TrendNet switch) and was considering either the TP Link 16 or 24 port gigabit switch.  How do you like it?  I noticed this unmanaged switch only supports IPv4 and not IPv6 - do you anticipate IPv6 catching on very quickly?  I currently only use IPv6 over IPv4 on my WSE12 box with DirectAccess traffic.  The 24 port TP Link switch is only $30 more than the 16 port.  Am leaning toward the 24 port.