RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kylejwx2

Switch VS Router

kylejwx2

I have always used consumer grade router/switch/access point all in one units.  However, I think that soon I will be upgrading to a Gigabit switch and attaching a separate wireless access point.  What do I need to consider when looking for a switch?  I don't move a ton of traffic, and my drobo and desktop are the only wired devices in the house. 

Is there a difference between a router and a switch in this situation?  Most consumer devices have one port that is dedicated WAN and that's where you plug in the Ethernet cable coming from your modem.  Switches don't seem to specify a WAN port.  Do I need to get one that has a WAN port or will any port do the trick? 

I am looking to be under $30 for this.  I am considering some thing like this trend net. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156259   Or this TP Link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704042

Edited by kylejwx2

schoondoggy

Wireless routers are three devices in one, router, wireless access point and switch. 

As you out-grow the number of switch ports on a router, migrating to a switch at the core of your network is a good way to go.

If you only have two wired devices, I am not sure you would see a benefit to moving to a switch.

What do you have for a router today?

pcdoc

Agree with schoondoggy.  Save your money for switch that can be used to "expand" the four ports that are on the router unless you existing router only supports 10/100 and not gigabit, in which case you would get a switch and run all you hard connections to it.  From the sound of your setup, I would just get a better router if you do not already have one that supports gigabit.

FiLiNuX

Your questions could take a VERY long time to explain in detail and go WAY beyond the scope of what you want too know I believe.  

"Do I need to get one that has a WAN port or will any port do the trick?"

Most the switches you would be looking at do not have a WAN port (that is a router until you are looking at layer 3 switches) A switch & a router are two TOTALLY different pieces of equipment that do two TOTALLY different things.  Don't think just because they look similar and take the same RJ45 plug they are the same.  Like Schoondoggy said above your standard home wireless routers are three devices in one ALL WITH THEIR OWN JOB to make things work.  Picture that device expanded and the three separate devices connected together with network cables from the router - > switch -> wifi AP.   At some point in your home network you are going to have to have a router or nothing will work.  Whoever is providing your internet service usually provides you with a "modem"  which in fact is truly a router.  If the "modem" that is provided does not have wifi built in you WILL need a separate router in your switch  & wireless AP scenario.  

A stand alone switch is always nice/preferred  and if the all in one device you are using now is not gigabit I would suggest adding on a inexpensive gigabit switch to the setup you have now.  

kylejwx2

Ok, Thanks for all the feed back.

I guess I should have stated that my current netgear router is not gigabit and that is a big factor in this situation. I am assuming that even an inexpensive Gigabit switch will be big improvement over my 100mb/s netgear.  Since I already have the stand alone access point, I was hopping that an inexpensive switch would allow me to replace the netgear with two devices (the cheap switch and the AP), and that I would no longer need the netgear plugged in and taking up space.

From what you are all saying, it sounds like that may not be possible.  What happens if I don't have any true router and just plug the cheap switch into the modem from my cable company?

For reference I am using this zoom modem.  its not wireless.

jmwills

Get a good gigabit switch and plug it into one of the router's LAN ports.  You can also plug the AP into the switch.  By doing that, your internal LAN will be at gig speeds.

Two things will happen if you plug a switch directly into your modem.  Only one device at a time will be able to access the internet and you WILL get hacked.

schoondoggy

A gigabit switch would be a good upgrade. You still need a router or firewall. You could add the switch, put your two hardwired devices and access point. One connection from your router to the switch and you should  be good to go.

FiLiNuX

It would work but you would be limited on connectivity, features, security, etc. 

As much as I am a fan of stand alone switches you can get a NICE wireless N router (supports open source!!) with a gigabit switch built in for about 10 more then what you are spending on the switch.  Use your AP as a range extender or something.  

Or turn this into a GREAT learning opportunity and re-purpose a old slow computer into a monster router / firewall / etc using all the free software available. 

Edited by FiLiNuX