RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L to Gen8

cpsimit

I've recently purchased the base model Gen8 with the intention of keeping my N54L to play around with ESXi. So far so good, however I've ran into abit of a problem when installing drives with existing data on, in the Gen8.

On the N54L I had Server 2012 installed on a 250GB drive, with 2x2TB  drives setup as storage spaces (striped/4TB) and then a single 4TB as a backup drive. When I've installed the 2x2TB drives into the Gen8, having installed 2012 from scratch, they don't show up - not in My Computer or Disk Management. They do, however, show up in the HP Array Configuration Utility but as 'Unssigned Drives (2).

Am I right in thinking I have to setup the 2x2TB as new and restore the data back onto them from the backup drive I have? Or is there a way I can get the existing data on them to show?

Is the Gen8 in AHCI?  

What do you mean by storage spaces (striped/4TB)?  Did you create a Storage Space Pool with your 2*2TB and create in that a simple redundancy fixed 4TB volume/virtual disk?

What does Server Manager show you -- it should show you the Storage Space Pool.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I didn't realise that the controller was set to Raid by default rather than AHCI, I think that's what the problem was. Now I've changed it though, the OS wont boot pass the Windows logo, but I've had this problem before, a reinstall should sort it. I'll give it a try again in the morning and see how I get on.

Thanks again.

Is the Gen8 in AHCI?  

What do you mean by storage spaces (striped/4TB)?  Did you create a Storage Space Pool with your 2*2TB and create in that a simple redundancy fixed 4TB volume/virtual disk?

And yes, that's exactly how I set it up.

If you set your controller back to RAID and boot into Windows, there is a registry change you can make that will enable it to boot after changing your BIOS back to AHCI. I have used it and it worked. It might not in your situation but what have you got to lose? Reinstall again? You were going to do that anyway :)

BTW, I would be sure to remove the data drives before doing the reinstall.

If you set your controller back to RAID and boot into Windows, there is a registry change you can make that will enable it to boot after changing your BIOS back to AHCI. I have used it and it worked. It might not in your situation but what have you got to lose? Reinstall again? You were going to do that anyway :)

BTW, I would be sure to remove the data drives before doing the reinstall.

Can you remind me of the tweak as I may need to do it once they solve the AHCI fan issue.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci]
"Start"=dword:00000000

Enter that into Notepad and save it as a .REG file, then run it to modify the registry. Reboot into the BIOS, change to AHCI and boot up.