RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS keeps update meta data for photos

danner

I think my windos home server 2011 updates the meta data for my jpg images.

I get real problems when using Adobe Lightroom. This software uses the meta data to save configurations to my photos. Lightroom keep telling me that an external software is updating the meta data, so Lightroom can not save data.

I did not see this issue when using a Netgear NAS.

Is it WHS that is updating this meta data, and how can I configura WHS not to do this?

Cheers Daniel 

It is very much possible that WHS2011's media sharing feature is doing this. IIRC, it does periodically index the files, and can/does mess with the metadata.

It's been a while since i've messed with it, but you can disable it. Should be in the dashboard's settings, under the media tab.  

I remember this being an issue.iMicrosoft fixed it with a patch. You should open Media Player on the server, Organize, Options, on the Library tab, untick Retrieve additional information from the Internet.

I remember this being an issue.iMicrosoft fixed it with a patch. You should open Media Player on the server, Organize, Options, on the Library tab, untick Retrieve additional information from the Internet.

I tried this now, but I sorry to tell that it does not work.

Could my PC that is running Lightroom and W7 change this meta data? I mean, could my PC check my network shares and do the thing that we suspect WHS is doing? 

Only if it respects that. Since it's MSFT code... Also, if it's using ADS to store the metadata, it won't change it anyhow.

Only if it respects that. Since it's MSFT code... Also, if it's using ADS to store the metadata, it won't change it anyhow.

Can you explain ;-)

I forgot that I did not have this problem when my photos was stored on a Netgear NAS, so it has to be WHS doing this... 

ADS "Alternate Data Streams", it's a feature of NTFS that allows you to "super hide" files from users. Like, you know when you download something, and it *knows* that you've downloaded that file and you have to unblock it?  That's how it does it.  If the images are storing the metadata this way, it definitely wouldn't change the modify time.

And as for the "MSFT code" bit.... IIRC, it's not too difficult to make a problem that will not change the modified time as well.  Heck, I used to have a program a long, long time ago that could change the modified time of files.... So that info isn't exactly reliable.

Also, if you don't mind "messing up" a few things, you may be able to get away with disabling the "Windows Server Media Streaming and HomeGroup Service" on the server.  you'll break homegroup functionality, but... I've found that homegroups cause more issues than they fix... :(

Also, if you don't mind "messing up" a few things, you may be able to get away with disabling the "Windows Server Media Streaming and HomeGroup Service" on the server.  you'll break homegroup functionality, but... I've found that homegroups cause more issues than they fix... :(

I tried to disable that service, but no, it did not solve the problem.This is really strange. Which service could do this to the files. The problem is that it seems impossilbe to find experts in both Lightroom and WHS