RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need to add more 4 drives to my home server

dengar69

Title says it all.  I want to add 4 more drives to my server.  I have 3 PCIe x1 slots available.  Looks like I can go with (1) 4 port or (2) 2 port SATA cards.  Any suggestions on which one(s) to get?  This is going to be used in a 2012 WSE server.  Not going to use raid, just some kind of Driverpool/bender solution.  Server is going to hold my media and backups.

Thanks.

Edited by dengar69

I would get the Highpoint 2720SGL.  You do not have use raid if you do not want to however it will nice to have the option to do later on when you need more space or speed.  Remember that drive pooling you lose 50% of what is duplicated so if you ever run out of space in the future, than you can create a RAID 5 and gain back your space.  The card also supports 8 drives so you can always expand that way as well.  Just my two cents.

• Like 1

Title says it all.  I want to add 4 more drives to my server.  I have 3 PCIe x1 slots available.  Looks like I can go with (1) 4 port or (2) 2 port SATA cards.  Any suggestions on which one(s) to get?  This is going to be used in a 2012 WSE server.  Not going to use raid, just some kind of Driverpool/bender solution.  Server is going to hold my media and backups.

Thanks.

I believe the RR2720SGL is a PCIe x8 which isn't going to work in a x1 slot.  The Rocket 620 is a PCIe x1 card and it has two ports and though it says it's a SATA III 6Gb/s it's not going to give you a through-put per port much more than 400-450MB/s max (both ports are on the same channel).  I only have one so I don't know if you could install two cards.  If you had an x4 slot available I would suggest looking at the Rocket 640L with 4 SATA III 6Gb/s -- on the 640L if you run SSD's on ports 1 & 3 you can get near SATA III speeds though if you try to also load SSD's on Ports 2 &4 (in addition to your loading on 1&3) your thru-put is going to drop because ports 1&2 are on one channel and ports 3&4 are on another channel.

Thanks for the replies.  Ok so given the fact that I have only PCIe 1x slots, I probably should be looking for multiple 2 port cards then right?

Thanks everyone.  I ordered the 2720SGL.

Great, good luck.  I assume you ordered a cable with it?  These take breakout cables.  If you did not, here are some choices.

.5M:  http://www.amazon.com/3WARE-Cable-Multi-lane-Internal-SFF-8087/dp/B000FBYS2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378771970&sr=8-1&keywords=3ware

1M:  http://www.amazon.com/Multi-lane-Internal-SFF-8087-Serial-Breakou/dp/B000FBT47E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378772045&sr=8-2&keywords=3ware+multi-lane