RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
robertdi8

optimizing NAS setup

robertdi8

Sorry to keep asking questions, the PC that you are testing from has a Gb Ethernet port?

Have you checked the link lights on the N900 to confirm they are all connected at Gb speed?

Thanks for all the questions and help..no need to apologize.

I switched out the router for a new ASUS RT-AC66u...no change with the speeds. In fact today I cannot access the new server or my old WHS.  I am really not very knowledgeable about these things so I have to ask how do I "check the link lights on the N900 to confirm they are all connected at Gb speed"?

Dave

FiLiNuX

" I used the network fault tolerance setting...it can be used with non- IEEE 802.3ad modems or switches."

This may be stating the obvious but the above would be great for fault tolerance but would do NOTHING for speed.  I also don't see how a complete Link Aggregation circuit could be completed when the switch doesn't support it.  

"in fact I have the server link aggregated with 3 separate gigabyte LAN cables."

Please explain the physical layout of this and how the teaming/bonding is setup (Is it done in Linux / Windows, what parameters, etc etc) as I can't picture how it would work correctly with the above information. 

FiLiNuX

"check the link lights on the N900 to confirm they are all connected at Gb speed"?

• Solid green. The LAN port has detected a 1,000 Mpbs link with an attached device.

• Solid amber. The LAN port has detected a 10/100 Mbps link with an attached device.
• Off. No link is detected on this port.
  • Like 1

robertdi8

I recommend having a real Ethernet switch at the heart of your network, and I recommend that to you as well. However, like pcdoc said, I don't think your router is responsible for the kind of low speeds you're getting.

I'm not completely clear if you tried testing the speed without using link aggregation. You mention "aggravation and after" but I'm sure if that's what that means.

My switch is a Cisco SG100D-05.  As I mentioned previously I had actually plugged all three of my LAN cables from the Synology into the router.  I removed the link aggregation this am with no change in the speed.  in fact I now cannot access the server from my windows PC at all.

Dave

robertdi8

" I used the network fault tolerance setting...it can be used with non- IEEE 802.3ad modems or switches."

This may be stating the obvious but the above would be great for fault tolerance but would do NOTHING for speed.  I also don't see how a complete Link Aggregation circuit could be completed when the switch doesn't support it.  

"in fact I have the server link aggregated with 3 separate gigabyte LAN cables."

Please explain the physical layout of this and how the teaming/bonding is setup (Is it done in Linux / Windows, what parameters, etc etc) as I can't picture how it would work correctly with the above information. 

I'll do my best.  Within the synology control panel you go to the network interface page (http://forum.synolog...p?f=145&t=41699).  Under the link aggregation choices you can use 802.3ad or this network fault tolerance.  I choose the later because I knew I my switch did not have 802.3ad.  The bonding went ahead with no complication.  I have since unbonded to take that out of the equation.

The link shows the steps I took, minus the use of the 802.3ad.

Hope that helps.

DAve.

"check the link lights on the N900 to confirm they are all connected at Gb speed"?

• Solid green. The LAN port has detected a 1,000 Mpbs link with an attached device.

• Solid amber. The LAN port has detected a 10/100 Mbps link with an attached device.
• Off. No link is detected on this port.

The lights are green, but slowly blinking, not solid.

DAve.

schoondoggy

My switch is a Cisco SG100D-05.  As I mentioned previously I had actually plugged all three of my LAN cables from the Synology into the router.  I removed the link aggregation this am with no change in the speed.  in fact I now cannot access the server from my windows PC at all.

Dave

How is the Cisco wired into this?

Can you draw or take a picture of your network?

With the issues you are having I think you may have a loop in here somewhere.

robertdi8

How is the Cisco wired into this?

Can you draw or take a picture of your network?

With the issues you are having I think you may have a loop in here somewhere.

Hi

I have removed the redundant LAN connections and currently have one cable connected to the CISCO switch.  I re-booted the system.  I am now getting speeds of about 100MBPS.  I guess the problem lay somewhere with the setup.  The interesting thing is the speeds I was getting after the link aggregation were the same as I was getting before.  I explored the link aggregation to try and improve the speed??  I am not sure what changed between now and before the link aggregation was attempted.  Oh well, all wells that ends well.  Thank you all for the input.

With respect to the current speeds...is that about right for this system with the SSD Cache in place?

DAve.

pcdoc

Hi

I have removed the redundant LAN connections and currently have one cable connected to the CISCO switch.  I re-booted the system.  I am now getting speeds of about 100MBPS.  I guess the problem lay somewhere with the setup.  The interesting thing is the speeds I was getting after the link aggregation were the same as I was getting before.  I explored the link aggregation to try and improve the speed??  I am not sure what changed between now and before the link aggregation was attempted.  Oh well, all wells that ends well.  Thank you all for the input.

With respect to the current speeds...is that about right for this system with the SSD Cache in place?

DAve.

That is much better.  Obviously there is something in the setup but personally at this point I would leave it.  Link aggregation does not buy you much on you particular setup  Keep it simple that always works best.

• Like 1

ikon

I agree with pcdoc. I would not implement link aggregation except where both ends specifically state they support 802.3ad and, even then, I would test, test, test.

timekills

I think he was employing link aggravation.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4