RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
robertdi8

optimizing NAS setup

robertdi8

Hi NAS newby here...

I just setup my new Synology 1513 and was looking forward to some high write speeds....Right now I am maxing out at about 10Mb/s...Setup includes 2 3TB WD Red drives and a 128Gb SSD cache.

Can anyone steer me toward a setup page so I can trouble shoot my lack of speed?

Or do any of you experienced users want to help??

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Dave.

Pancakes

Do you have a gigabit network?

robertdi8

Do you have a gigabit network?

I assume that means what router do I have??  See below.

Thanks,DAve.

Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router
  • 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Concurrent Dual-Band Transmissions for Strong Signal Strength and Ultra-Fast Connection Rates up to 900Mbps
  • Gigabit Ethernet Ports for the Fastest, Most Reliable Internet Performance
  • Download Master for Wireless Data Storage and Access to Router-Connected USB Storage Devices
  • Expanded Wireless Coverage with Detachable High-Powered Antennas
  • File Sharing, Printer Sharing, and 3G Sharing via Two Multi-Functional Built-in USB Ports
  • ASUSWRT Dashboard UI for Easy Setup, Signal Monitoring, and Network Application Control

pcdoc

Sounds like you are getting wireless speeds.  Are you trying to connect or write to this wirelessly at any level?  Or are both the NAS and PC that you are using hard wired?  You are either operating at 10/100 or wireless, not gigabit.

robertdi8

Sounds like you are getting wireless speeds.  Are you trying to connect or write to this wirelessly at any level?  Or are both the NAS and PC that you are using hard wired?  You are either operating at 10/100 or wireless, not gigabit.

Both are hardwired...in fact I have the server link aggregated with 3 separate gigabyte LAN cables.

Dave

robertdi8

This is a bit dated, but it does not look like the RT-66/N900 supports link aggregation.

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=65753

Here is a detailed write up on Synology and link aggregation;

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=41699

Yes I saw that as well.  I used the network fault tolerance setting...it can be used with non- IEEE 802.3ad modems or switches.  The speeds did not change between my setting up the link aggregation and after.

DAve.

schoondoggy

Sorry to keep asking questions, the PC that you are testing from has a Gb Ethernet port?

Have you checked the link lights on the N900 to confirm they are all connected at Gb speed?

pcdoc

Do you have two computers on this network and have you tested the speeds between them?  It sounds like your network is an issue.  That kind of speed is pretty bad but I doubt it is the unit.

ikon

I recommend having a real Ethernet switch at the heart of your network, and I recommend that to you as well. However, like pcdoc said, I don't think your router is responsible for the kind of low speeds you're getting.

I'm not completely clear if you tried testing the speed without using link aggregation. You mention "aggravation and after" but I'm sure if that's what that means.