RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

can't access Remote Access Card admin website

talldave

I have the RAC card (615095-B21) installed for my HP N40L.    I access the admin website via it's ip address 192.168.1.88/login.html

Sometimes I can login successfully.

Sometimes I login, then get immediately sent back to the login page.

Sometimes I login, the navigation shows up on the left, but before it displays the Firmware version I get sent back to the login page.

I have tried this with both windows and mac; safari, chrome, firefox, and IE.

I can't make any sense of it.   Has anybody else experienced this, and hopefully has a solution for me?

I have the same remote access card and also had a similar issue from time to time.  Usually by the 2nd or 3rd login attempt I am successful at getting into the management console.

Seems to be no reason that I can put my finger on.  Probably buggy firmware.

From what I've gathered online whilst looking at the remote access kit (I'll make clear I don't own one, but I have used and abused iLO on HP Proliant servers for many a year) the firmware isn't the best and has many problems that plagued the old iLO on <G4 Proliants. Namely serious issues with any browser that wasn't Internet Explorer when it comes to handling logged in users and using the vKVM for remote terminal access.

I'd suggest trying IE if you're using another browser. If for whatever reason that isn't an option (using OSX or a Linux-based OS) try incognito/'private browsing' mode. This tends to get past the dodgy login processes. If you have issues with the vKVM, I'm afraid I haven't got it to work on anything other than Windows - and even then support for anything later than XP was poor at best - with the latest JRE installed..

These pointers made iLO at least usable on the Proliant rack servers, which was a precursor to the remote access kits on the Microserver series, so they may bare some fruit on those too..

I have the RAC card (615095-B21) installed for my HP N40L.    I access the admin website via it's ip address 192.168.1.88/login.html

Sometimes I can login successfully.

Sometimes I login, then get immediately sent back to the login page.

Sometimes I login, the navigation shows up on the left, but before it displays the Firmware version I get sent back to the login page.

I have tried this with both windows and mac; safari, chrome, firefox, and IE.

I can't make any sense of it.   Has anybody else experienced this, and hopefully has a solution for me?

Sorry I just re-read your post and realised you've tried IE. In that case the remote access kit firmware may just be a bit iffy. iLO used to have the same problems you've described and was solved by using IE.

Something else I also experienced was iLO getting 'overloaded' with pending commands and requests. I think I once narrowed it down to a flaw in how iLO processed commands sent to it. Refreshing the page or trying to re-login just made the situation worse until iLO crashed altogether and either had to be restarted via SSH or by pulling the servers power. Symptoms were iLO only loading half the page or omitting elements such as buttons, hyperlinks, drop-down menus etc. I've got a nagging feeling the remote access kit might be based off of this same software..

Edited by frankplummer

I found this link which shows how to update the firmware.    I believe it is to update to version 1.2, which I believe is what I have.  The first link in their solution points to version 1.2 which is 3 years old.   The second approach does not work for me, I am unable to get to a HP Microserver support page (browser says server not found).   

I will keep digging...

I also had problems with vKVM only working on windows, but then I did something with my mac os x java and was able to get the console on my mac.  very cool!   just wish I could do this consistently.

The newest version is 1.3. You mentioned "1.2" twice, which is kind of confusing, maybe you meant "1.3" in the first reference?

More confusion: v1.3 reports itself as "1.2" in the popup window you get from hitting the "about" link in the top right corner.

Instead, use "properties" in the left pane to see the version as 1.3.

Super software you're shipping here, HP.

The "About" popup, before and after I login, shows version 1.2

The "Properties" link on the nav pane on the left also shows 1.2

The link I provided in my second post, which tells you how to upgrade your RAC firmware, sends you to a site to download version 1.2

I was under the impression 1.2 was the latest.   I have since found this link (thanks e4Bkt) which allows download of 1.3

One of the fixes is:

Resolved an issue where the HP ProLiant Remote Access Card becomes inaccessible via Http, SSH or remote KVM sessions from client systems over LAN interface and pings time out.

Just finished downloading, upgrading, testing.   So far, so good!   I can even get vKVM working with Safari.

Yes, if you mean the About popup shows 1.2, and the main page shows 1.3

I have found that I still have intermittent access problems.   So far, I can always access the admin site with Chrome.  Safari and Firefox are hit and miss, mostly miss.