RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Opinion on Windows 8 install on SSD and a Data Drive

Dave

I'm testing WIndows 8 on my video production rig.  I've unplugged my Win7 SSD and data drive ( which is a spinner) and have installed Win8 on two Kingston HyperX 120 SSD's in a RAID 0 config.  I am using a single SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB as the Data drive, or app drive, etc.  

Windows 8 is already pretty zippy and I'm wondering if I shouldn't reverse that setup.  Use a single SSD as the OS and RAID 0 two of them for the app drive.  Get a lot of speed out of loading apps.

I ran ATTO against them both.  No screen caps but the C: drive in a RAID 0 was something around 540 MB / Sec on read and write.  The app drive, single SSD, is 250 to 280 MB / Sec.  

Just curious what you guys are doing for your desktop and your opinion on this.

Unless you are running Sata 2 or your SSD is very slow, you should be getting 500-550 out of you SSD as well.  This would make them on par in terms of performance.  I would go with SSD for the OS and the apps/scratch drive on the RAID 0, and data on the server. 

I left that little piece of info out didn't I?  This is where you tell me to get a new mobo or SATA card.  It's an older Asus P6T. All ports are only 3Gb.

I left that little piece of info out didn't I?  This is where you tell me to get a new mobo or SATA card.  It's an older Asus P6T. All ports are only 3Gb.

Yep, that would a great upgrade.  You could even re-use the CPU and spend around $100 for a new motherboard.

• Like 1

Actually, that won't improve speed a great deal. its the IOPS that matter for the zippyness

Ill find the article on Tom's Hardware if I can, you should be fine on SATAII

Actually, that won't improve speed a great deal. its the IOPS that matter for the zippyness

Ill find the article on Tom's Hardware if I can, you should be fine on SATAII

Will be interested in reading that as my testing show different on faster SSD.  On hard drives I completely agree but not on an SSD.

I'm testing WIndows 8 on my video production rig.  I've unplugged my Win7 SSD and data drive ( which is a spinner) and have installed Win8 on two Kingston HyperX 120 SSD's in a RAID 0 config.  I am using a single SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB as the Data drive, or app drive, etc.  

Windows 8 is already pretty zippy and I'm wondering if I shouldn't reverse that setup.  Use a single SSD as the OS and RAID 0 two of them for the app drive.  Get a lot of speed out of loading apps.

I ran ATTO against them both.  No screen caps but the C: drive in a RAID 0 was something around 540 MB / Sec on read and write.  The app drive, single SSD, is 250 to 280 MB / Sec.  

Just curious what you guys are doing for your desktop and your opinion on this.

I would reverse the set-up which is pretty close to what I'm doin with my Desktop.

My desktop is an X58 and to run Win8  on it I had to turn off the Marvell chips drivn the GSATA III Ports so I moved my SSD to a SATA II port for the OS -- which is still pretty fast loading the OS etc but of course it's capped by the SATA II and then I use 3 VR's (each on a SATA II Port) in RAID0 for my Video Editing drive and it works pretty well -- it's very responsive -- i think it would be the same for you with 2 SSD's in RAID0.   My final edited video files are copied to the Server. 

I think i've installed Windows 8 at least 5 times in the last two days! My experiments are over and yes, I did swap them around.  One 128 SSD as the OS and a stripe on two additional.  This is the first time I've had only SSD in my desktop. No spinners.