RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

iLO and network ports

snapper

Hi

My Gen8 hasn't arrived yet, but I was wondering if anyone knew much about the iLO port sharing with gigabit port 1, so I can config my switch ready...

Reading online, it seems that iLO can be configured to share port 1 on the mainboard.

Does anyone know if this will still work when LACP is enabled on ports 1 & 2, therefore iLO will connect at 2gig?

How does the iLO addressing work when sharing ports?

Is there multiple MAC addresses on physical port 1, therefore allowing DHCP reservations to be made, or are there two IP interfaces on a single MAC, thus making DHCP reservation config more complex?

iLO on the old G4 Proliants had the option to share the iLO port as a 100mbps port. It would have two MAC addresses and two IP addresses, essentially becoming two different NICs. I had serious issues when trying to use this, as iLO on the old G4s and G3s really did suck, so I can't comment on the MicroServer G8s.

Edited by frankplummer

Thanks for the link. it doesn't actually say what happens when link aggregation is used though.

Doesn't matter though - my gen8 turned up a little while back so i can play  :D

Excellent. Please post back with results so all the G8 owners can learn.

i can confirm that the NIC uses two separate MAC addresses and therefore 2 separate IP addresses - however i can't add any light to the LACP issue.

if i had to hedge bets i would go with @direktorn though. LACP being layer 2 multiplexing seems to imply that it would not work if you shared iLO with network port 1.

let us know!

i can confirm that the NIC uses two separate MAC addresses and therefore 2 separate IP addresses - however i can't add any light to the LACP issue.

if i had to hedge bets i would go with @direktorn though. LACP being layer 2 multiplexing seems to imply that it would not work if you shared iLO with network port 1.

let us know!

One option could be to use NIC teaming in VMware if you're using a hypervisor. VMware 5.1 supports LCAP. In theory you could assign the NIC to VMware (if drivers are found) together with the primary NIC.

I might get myself a FUJITSU PRIMERGY TX120 S3P server as an option to the Microserver, this one has three NIC's where one is dedicated for ServerView Remote Management but the docs says you can spawn it on several NICs.

Excellent. Please post back with results so all the G8 owners can learn.

Will do - i'm away at the moment so won't get the chance before early next week...

I'd guess that iLO won't know the OS is running LACP, and will continue to put iLO frames onto a specific NIC. Your switch will be fine with this.

Where things will come off the rails is in the other direction: the switch will send iLO-bound frames to EITHER of the members of the LACP bundle. The iLO may, or may not receive them.

What's your objective with LACP? Redundancy or throughput?