RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is there a pfSense module to hide your external IP address?

Dave

Just curious about the title.  I need to run more with my pfSense router in the future.  A/V, and malware protection needed soon too.

Using a VPN or Proxy for the WAN connection would do that. But that would basically just "move" it to another source. And you'd need a good VPN/Proxy server. And that would likely cost a good chunk of money.

You can't really "hide" your public facing I.P because if you did, your internet connection would be useless as nothing could find it's way through the pipes to your router. You can use a VPN/proxy but it's not really "hiding" just adding a middle man to the communication. The way TCP/IP was designed prohibits such things.

JayBee is right. How could the USPS, UPS, or Fedex deliver mail to you if your house had no address? The fact is, if you want to interact with the outside world at all, that world has to have some way to find you. With the Internet that way is your WAN IP.

Thanks for the 101.  I should have stated the question better.  I was curious about a proxy service and if you guys had ever used them.  Just something to start conversations.  

Sure you can hide it, just don't use the internet at all :)

A www Proxy would not hide you either but if you want to surf Anonymous you could use hidemyass.com and various VPN services.

You can run OpenVPN on pfSense. I did the entire last year in Iraq in order to access US sites.

It requires some work, but it works extremely well. Much better than running it on Tomato on most home wireless routers as they don't have the CPU power to work as router and VPN access. I posted some information on how to get it working in the pfSense forums earlier last month.

I highly recommend this VPN service: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com

They are one of the few that do not provide or keep logs. Not that I have anything to hide (legally) but I'd prefer for my VPN service to actually work as designed. They also have extremely high speeds through multiple countries and ports. Anywhere from 8 Gbps to 130 Gbps at each site.

• Like 1

I posted some information on how to get it working in the pfSense forums earlier last month.

NICE! Do you have a link to that post/info? It would be great to have a walk-through for pfsense and openVPN.

I wouldn't mind having the link also. I've already setup OpenVPN under pfsense but it was tedious and I didn't document my steps. Not sure I could easily replicate the setup if I had to. Particularly the creation of client certificates, client machine setup, etc. using both the iOS and Windows OpenVPN apps.