RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Jesse

opening up a minecraft server

Jesse

Hello,

My son has been persistent about us hosting a minecrafter server for him and 2 or 3 friends.  Seems simple enough, but I have some concerns about opening up one of my machines to the outside world.  It will be a dedicated VM used only as a minecraft server, so even if this "machine" got hosed it would not be all that terrible.  It is the fact that it is connected to the rest of my network that worries me.

I did some searching and all I came up with is using a whitelist and Hamachi.  Will these be enough to secure things?  Would it be a good idea to place this machine in a DMZ, or just stick with forwarding the appropriate port?  How difficult would it be for someone to gain access to our network through minecraft?

Thanks in advance.

Jesse

ikon

Minecraft... shudder! (not security-wise, just Minecraft itself...ick!).

Anyway, I think you're right to be concerned, and not just about Minecraft. Remember, this is an Internet facing server. Crackers can try to break in lots of ways besides Minecraft. I think a DMZ is a good idea. 

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

.... I'm not a fan of DMZ. A lot of routers don't handle it right and can mangle the traffic.  Not to mention, I'm also not a fan of opening more than what is *absolutely* necessary.

Jesse

Hello,

First, to the Admins I will say that yes, this is a double post.  My first attempt was in a forum with very little traffic.  If this is a big no-no then I will understand if you have to smack me down. ;)

Here goes (again).

My son has been persistent about us hosting a minecrafter server for him and 2 or 3 friends.  Seems simple enough, but I have some concerns about opening up one of my machines to the outside world.  It will be a dedicated VM used only as a minecraft server, so even if this "machine" got hosed it would not be all that terrible.  It is the fact that it is connected to the rest of my network that worries me.

I did some searching and all I came up with is using a whitelist and Hamachi.  Will these be enough to secure things?  Would it be a good idea to place this machine in a DMZ, or just stick with forwarding the appropriate port?  How difficult would it be for someone to gain access to our network through minecraft?

Thanks in advance.

Jesse

Drashna Jaelre

No need to whitelist. If you just don't expose it to the internet (either by forwarding ports or ... ugh putting it in the DMZ), then the only way to access it is locally, or via VPN (which is virtually local).  So just using Hamachi would work.

Or if your using Windows, just enable "Incoming Connections", create user accounts for the friends on that computer, and forward port 1723. And they'd just need to use the "Connect to a workplace" wizard in the Network Center.

cskenney

So here comes the smackdown....

The original topic did get a couple of replies.  The topic (Minecraft) may have kept most forum members from paying attention.  I can tell you from my own personal experience I could live without Minecraft in my house.

I will remove your other post and combine it with this one.....

Jesse

So here comes the smackdown....

The original topic did get a couple of replies.  The topic (Minecraft) may have kept most forum members from paying attention.  I can tell you from my own personal experience I could live without Minecraft in my house.

I will remove your other post and combine it with this one.....

And this is why I like it here.  One cannot get a civilized smackdown just anywhere on the internet.

Jesse

ikon

We're all about civilized smackdowns :D

pcdoc

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Jesse

Personally I would look into these various private mindcraft hosting services.  I thing you can get one 5-10/month and save the hassle and risk.  Personally I dislike Hamachi and refuse to use it anymore as I find it somewhat convoluted.  It works but....