RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Considering an N54L as a Windows powered NAS

kiokuro

The major use for the system is to host a large Adobe Lightroom library of photos. I'd like the system to back itself up either with Backblaze or Crashplan to their servers.  I'd also like Everpix to run on the server, which appears to push towards Windows as a solution.

I'm not averse to the idea of a Server OS in general, but I don't think that backblaze/crashplan play nice with windows 2012. So I'm thinking Windows 8. Is this insane?

I'll have 4 2TB drives to put in the NAS. I'm considering Micorosft's Storage spaces to make use of all the data. Good idea? Bad idea?

How responsive is storage spaces likely to be for my use case? There will only usually be one machine accessing the library at a time, and at most, two.

Thanks in advance.

The major use for the system is to host a large Adobe Lightroom library of photos. I'd like the system to back itself up either with Backblaze or Crashplan to their servers.  I'd also like Everpix to run on the server, which appears to push towards Windows as a solution.

I'm not averse to the idea of a Server OS in general, but I don't think that backblaze/crashplan play nice with windows 2012. So I'm thinking Windows 8. Is this insane?

I'll have 4 2TB drives to put in the NAS. I'm considering Micorosft's Storage spaces to make use of all the data. Good idea? Bad idea?

How responsive is storage spaces likely to be for my use case? There will only usually be one machine accessing the library at a time, and at most, two.

Thanks in advance.

I think Windows Home Server 2011 would do all that you want for less than $50 for the OS (I've seen it on sale for much lower than that).

You can install Crashplan on a WHS-2011 machine -- check their website.  Phil Churchill also tells how to do it with WHS-V1 and WHS-2011.

While I'm not against Storage Spaces I don't see it as "resilient" and "transparent" in protecting my data as something like a Mirror created in Disk Manager or a product like DrivePool that preserves the data in NTFS format that is readabe in any Windows machine.

Install the OS (ie WHS-2011) on the Stock 250GB drive that comes with the N54L -- place that drive in the ODD --  and put the 4 2TB drives in the Drive Cage and make two Mirrors in Disk Manager -- that way your drives will be in NTFS and If something happens to your machine you can put the drives in any windows machine and import them and read the data off of them -- you could also take one drive out of each mirror and import those into any other Windows machine and read the data off of them or use them to seed another server.

See: New MicroServer: Where to Start and either youtube.com/watch?v=sPbxn8RPLK8 or

Edited by Joe_Miner

"I have crashplan running on Windows Server 2012E, works fine "

Almost 2X the cost of the server for the OS makes me think.  I am not trying to sling mud but I do know that there are people on here that I feel are VERY knowledgeable that have said bad things about storage spaces.  Might want to search for it here.  

Thanks in advance.

The N54L would do what you want fine with no questions asked. WHS 2011 or a more pricey Windows Server 2008R2/2012 would be just as good - depends on your price.

I'd recommend looking into RAID solutions and ZFS filesystems for your Lightroom library for data protection. I'd go with RAID1 - two arrays mirrored at 2TB each - and use the original 250GB drive for the OS.