RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
lawrencebmarshall

Gen8 Blu Ray Drive

lawrencebmarshall

Hi, just got my gen8 in yesterday and looking to add a Blu Ray drive to rip my movies with. So I learned the hard way that the slot is a 9.5mm instead of the more common 12.7mm. What I do not get is why people are saying the UJ-262 drive is ideal? 

As far as I can tell UJ-152, UJ-162, UJ-232, UJ-242, UJ-252, and UJ-262 are all 9.5mm drives. I get that the older model numbers are slower and some have firmware issues, but is there anything physically wrong with them?

Has anyone found a way to get the retaining bracket without buying the HP DVD Rom?

I was just going to get a converter cable for power off ebay unless someone has a better option?

schoondoggy

You are on the right track.

Panasonic is the only vendor I am finding that does a BD drive in a 9.5mm. 

Some of the numbers you have listed above are slot loaders and they tend to come with no bezel.

I may order a UJ-152, just to try it.

The correct cable for power and data from HP is 484355-006

I used one of these;

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=7639&CAWELAID=1329454713&catargetid=320013720000010928&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CK-Lr76wsrkCFUui4AodngMAeg

There is a power union under the ODD bay that you can take apart and add in a 'Y' Molex cable.

I have not found the brackets as a separate item.

lawrencebmarshall

As far as I am aware the ones I listed are all tray loaders. The slot loaders typically end in 7, tray loaders end in 2. At least this goes for the 9.5mm sizes anyways, as the 12.7mm seem to be all over the place.  As an example though UJ-167 and UJ-267 are 9.5mm slot loaders. You are right though I cannot find bezels for them.

UJ-162 seems to be the cheapest option off ebay btw so I would skip the 152 unless you can find it used.

Edited by lawrencebmarshall

schoondoggy

Sorry about that, you are correct, the slot loaders end in a 7.

I am not sure if it is worth the effort, but some threads on other websites have hinted that the best way to get a 9.5mm BD is to find one in a external USB case and take it apart. Seem like a wild goose chase.

lawrencebmarshall

I haven't found that it is any cheaper and most of the externals are actually 12.7mm drives anyways.

lawrencebmarshall

Per my discussion with hp support the part number for the bracket is this. This is what comes with the optional dvd-rom. I asked in regards to the UJ-162 drive which they cannot confirm or deny if it works. It is available from the hp store for 15 plus shipping.

460014-001 :- Optical drive bracket - 1U/2U, 9.5mm

• Like 1

almock

So which Bluray drive did you end up with?  I am considering getting a Gen8 to consolidate a few boxes and having a BD drive is a must to accomplish this.