RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Video & Sound Card(s) for N40L/N54L MicroServer

Joe_Miner

Got the card and it works great -- here's a video (near the bottom of this post) of what I put into the MicroServer and the performance of the OS & Data drives too

The Card I got was a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card ( 100292DDR3L) that was on sale at the time for $19

I loaded Windows 8 on for my OS

I installed a Blu-Ray/DVD Drive in the ODD Bay on top

I did a HardWare RAID0 with to VelociRaptor Drives for my OS Drive -- the performance is amazing (check out individual drive performance and how they compare in software RAID0's at: Performance Tests: WD1500HLHX )

gallery_1229_27_124309.jpg

I did a SoftWare RAID1 (using Disk Management in Win8) with 2*ST3000DM001's as my Data Drive -- great performance

gallery_1229_27_46203.jpg

I had flashed the MicroServer with the BIOS-Mod -- before setting up the HW RAID0 I went into the BIOS and set Optimal Defaults (I did not flash my BIOS back to stock) 

gallery_1229_27_122883.jpg

After Setting Optimal Defaults I followed the excellent HP Guide HP ProLiant MicroServer -- How to Enable SATA RAID and Create Logical Disk

link: youtube.com/watch?v=0AyldrY7qJY

Edited by Joe_Miner

news70

Did you get the UsB sound card to work ? In youtube it seems like it's video only,  thanks

Joe_Miner

Yes, it works when attached to a HDMI monitor with speakers you get sound via the Video Card.  I didn't need to try the USB sound card since I had sound via the 5450 Video card.

Edited by Joe_Miner
  • Like 1

Joe_Miner

I tried a Sapphire Radeon HD6450 Graphics Card in the HP ProLiant N40L MicroServer and it is working very well

I installed a Sapphire Radeon HD6450 Graphics card in a HP ProLiant N40L MicroServer providing HDMI and DVI Output to two Monitors with Sound playing through the HDMI connection on the Planar monitor.  I had installed Windows 7 Pro 64b as my OS onto a Corsair Force GT 60GB SSD that was attached to a HighPoint Rocket 620A.

I unboxed the HD6450:

The Planar Monitor on the left is attached with a HDMI cable and has sound (you can hear it in the video below)!  The AOC Monitor on the right is attached with a DVI cable.

gallery_1229_27_18425.jpg

In this Video I demo the card briefly and show how it's installed in the N40L........

On the Left is the HD6450 in the PCIe X16 Expansion slot & on the Right is the Rocket 620A in the PCIe X1 Expansion slot that's behind the X16

In both pictures you can see how I mounted the SSD on top of the DVD player with Tape.

gallery_1229_27_42835.jpg gallery_1229_27_14969.jpg

The N40L after everything has been removed...............

gallery_1229_27_22533.jpg

Here's the performance of the Corsair Force GT 60GB SSD that I attached to the HighPoint Rocket 620A in the PCIe X1 Expansion Slot of my HP ProLiant N40L MicroServer

gallery_1229_27_95927.jpg

While not as good performance as I'd seen on an Intel SATA III port it is better than the performance I've seen on the N40L's stock SATA II ports

As-Built (as shown in the tear down video):

• HP ProLiant N40L MicroServer
  • 4GB RAM
  • Standard HP BIOS 2013.10.01(A)(15NOV2013)
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon HD6450 in X16 PCIe Slot
  • HighPoint Rocket 620A in X1 PCIe Slot
  • DVD drive in ODD bay (Plus 18” Data SATA cable to SATA ODD connector on System Board and Molex to 2 SATA Power Y cable
  • 60GB Corsair Force GT SSD (taped to top of DVD drive Plus 18” Data SATA cable to Port 1 on R620A)
  • Windows 7 Pro 64b
  • Monitor 1: Planar PX2710MW (Plus 5’ HDMI cable)
  • Monitor 2: AOC I2269Vw (Plus 5’ DVI cable)
  • Wireless MS Keyboard & Wired MS Mouse
  • MicroServer 4 Drive bay is available for additional HDD’s or SSD’s
Edited by Joe_Miner

warpaper

I would like to install Ubuntu server + Desktop environment for my N54L, any one know which video card w/ HDMI compatible to Ubuntu 14.04 ?  Many thanks.

silverlace

I have a few questions on the HP N54L 4g ram + Sapphire Radeon 6450 + WD Blue 1TB Drive configuration:

1) how do you hook up the keyboard to it, does the mother board has k/b jack ? or you have to use a usb keyboard?

2) how can you do the voice input (i.e. use a microphone) since there is no audio input jack on the main board

3) how to load and boot an OS such as Redhat Linux without ordering a DVD drive (go to bios, may be booting from the usb?)

Thanks for any reply!

silverlace

I have a few questions on the HP N54L 4g ram + Sapphire Radeon 6450 + WD Blue 1TB Drive configuration:

1) how do you hook up the keyboard and mouse to it, does the mother board has k/b and mouse jack ? or you have to use a usb wireless keyboard and mouse?

2) how can you do the voice input (i.e. use a microphone) since there is no audio input jack on the main board

3) how to load and boot an OS such as Redhat Linux without ordering a DVD drive (go to bios, may be booting from the usb?)

I forget to include the mouse in question 1..

Thanks for any reply!

ikon

You need a USB keyboard, or an adapter that can turn a PS/2 keyboard into a USB one. Same goes for the mouse.

For voice input you would need a USB microphone. There are many on the market.

To install the OS you can use an external USB hard drive or flash drive.

silverlace

ikon,

Thanks for your input! 

oj88

Thanks to this thread, I got out and bought a Zotac GT210. I'm using an N40L as a workbench PC and I find that the onboard VGA controller quite lacking, especially with video playback. It will even choke on Youtube videos. How can one enjoy Dave's HSS videos without proper equipment, eh? lol

DSC_0014_zps1h7anxbg.jpg

One caveat with the Zotac is that the VGA D-Sub ribbon cable is too short. On the G7 Microservers, if you put the D-Sub on the provided low-profile bracket, it won't reach the PCIe 2 hole. Since I still utilize a VGA KVM switch, I had to go through my parts bin for a DVI to D-Sub converter to get the analog feed.

DSC_0016_zpsveucu2ls.jpg

Now, it's a proper bench PC.