RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Video & Sound Card(s) for N40L/N54L MicroServer

Joe_Miner

To attach a monitor with speakers to a MicroServer N40L/N54L with HDMI and stay within the 25W limitation on the x16 slot I was wondering what cards are people actually using?

I'm thinking of repurposing a MicroServer for a family member (their computer just died this morning) running Windows 8 but I need to provide sound and I need to plug in a HDMI monitor.

Thanks!

Dave

I use this external sound card on my Windows 7 video production PC.  Works well.

Gemini SC1

• Like 1

frankplummer

I'm quite interested in getting a dedicated GPU for the N54L for folding - more powerful the better!

Joe_Miner

For my main desktop, I finally stopped messing around with different solutions and bought this: http://www.bose.ca/controller?url=/shop_online/speakers/computer_speakers/companion_5/index.jsp. It's plug 'n play; don't even have to load drivers. I don't use any audio on my servers.

It's not replacing a main desktop -- the speakers are in the Samsung monitor -- it will be a temp replacement for a low powered multi-purpose HTPC/workstation -- thus it requires audio (one of my stated specs in the 1st post).

Edited by Joe_Miner

Joe_Miner

I dont think I found anything that was around 25W.

There are a bunch of threads on www.avforums.com on this topic.

This card seems to get used a bit;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102882

Thanks Schoondoggy!!

There's a really nice write-up by cjed at avforums.com about the HD5450 installation in a N40L (I'm a sucker for nice tech pictures too) -- Adding a PCIe Graphics Card to an N40L

Edited by Joe_Miner

psikey

Cheapest/best is a passive 512MB HD 6450 (I've used Sapphire and Asus) 27w TDP.

The 25w limit is not strictly a limit (is for warranty purposes I suppose) because I've had a low-profile HD 7750 in one and it ran fine and even decent for gameplay so long as the game isn't heavily dependant on the CPU like SIMS3. (Got 720p/60fps on L4D2 with the 7750).

Did a load of testing in a thread I posted here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/18305528-post464.html

I still have an N54L in addition to my new G8 Microserver. I use the N54L purely as a Plex/Media store with Windows 8 Pro and with drives powered down it consumes under 25W idling !!

Edited by psikey
  • Like 1

Joe_Miner

Cheapest/best is a passive 512MB HD 6450 (I've used Sapphire and Asus) 27w TDP.

The 25w limit is not strictly a limit (is for warranty purposes I suppose) because I've had a low-profile HD 7750 in one and it ran fine and even decent for gameplay so long as the game isn't heavily dependant on the CPU like SIMS3. (Got 720p/60fps on L4D2 with the 7750).

Did a load of testing in a thread I posted here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/18305528-post464.html

I still have an N54L in addition to my new G8 Microserver. I use the N54L purely as a Plex/Media store with Windows 8 Pro and with drives powered down it consumes under 25W idling !!

Thanks PsiKey!  Very nice write-up.

I ordered the 5450 last night before seeing your post -- but I had been looking at the 6450 based on other posts I had seen in the forums.  The deciding factor for me was the 5450 was slightly cheaper and since this was intended to be just a temp solution till I could fix the machine that had failed I went cheap (hopefully I'll not regret that decision).

I use this external sound card on my Windows 7 video production PC.  Works well.

Gemini SC1

Wow!  The specs on that Gemini SC1 look really nice with what you can do with it --

Thanks

FYI - I bought this USB sound device to use on one of my Microservers.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186046

Someone had recommended it and it was inexpensive.  However, I have not actually installed it yet so I can't tell you how it works.

Thanks Chris.  At that price it's worth giving it a try --

Edited by Joe_Miner