RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kylejwx2

VHD will not attach in Windows 8

kylejwx2

Welcome to the forums, Andrew. That is a nice set up you have there and I am glad it seems to be working for you. Being able to attach VHDs is still a big deal to me and I am hopping that some of your success will be able help me sort out the issues I am having on my NAS. My goal is to use it for crashplan like what you are doing.

I would highly recommend checking out the forum link below as it explains how to automate the process of attaching the VHD on reboot.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5937-how-to-setup-whs2011-server-backup-to-use-a-vhd/

rasjrbr

Hello.

First of all i've found this forum looking for answers about creating backups with Crashplan to my Drobo FS, that i bought new and got discontinued after 2 months. :(

I'd like to thank kylejwx2 for the tips so far. It solved my problem very very much. Since i bought it i have to get the best of it so i found out about the VHD trick, and i thank you very much for that.

My wife has an old dell that i have installed Windows 8.1 and i get the same problem: I cannot create the VHD in Windows 8.1. In Windows 7 i can, and i also tried to create the VHD in Windows 7 and tried to mount it in Windows 8.1 without any success.

My setup is this: Drobo FS is connected to a switch, where there is a macbook air, a pc server (for gaming using Windows 7 Pro) and the notebook.

I installed the VHD on Windows 7 on Drobo FS and it works fine with CrashPlan.

However when i try in Windows 8.1 it says the mesage "The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.".

This is annoying as hell. But i guess it's an issue with Windows 8.1, because in Windows 7 i run the VHD without any problems.

Let me know if you get any positive results.

For several months, I have been using CrashPlan to back up to a VHD that was on my Drobo FS.  This was all using windows 7, and a couple times a week I would go into disk management and attach the vhd so that the back ups could run.  I recently upgraded to Windows 8 and now vhds that reside on the Drobo will not attach.

I get this error when attempting to attach from Disk Management: "The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file."

If I double click on the VHD file in windows explorer it says: "The file couldn't be mounted because it's in use."

If I move the vhd to my local storage it connects fine.  I never had a problem attaching vhds on the network with windows 7, but it seems that something is weird here.

kylejwx

@rasjrbr  welcome to the forums and I am glad that we have been able to help you so far.  I have good news and bad news.  The good news is that my Windows 8.1 machine now regularly attaches VHD files that reside on my Drobo FS without any of the previous errors.  The bad news is that I don't really know why it works now or what can be done to make it work.   Here are some of the things I have done, some of which may be a fix.

1. Re-install Windows 8.1. (I re-installed because of a separate issue, but it seems to have helped.)

2. Reboot the Drobo.

3. Install the latest Windows Updates.

4. Install the latest Drobo Firmware updates.

5. Check your Drobo FS networking. This one is kind of a rant.  When I got my Drobo, I thought that as a Network Attached Storage device it would always show up in Windows Explorer under "Network" as long as the Drobo was configured as a public share.  This never really worked out for me even though I fought it for a long time.  I have always had the Drobo set up to receive a static ip address from the router based on MAC address.  The key for me was to go to Windows Explorer and chose "Add a network location" and then type in the IP address of the Drobo.  This seems to work better than "Map network drive" in Windows Explorer or even trying to mount the share as a drive letter via the Drobo dashboard. By using "Add a network location" on each of my Windows 8.1 machines I feel like I really getting the network part out of NAS.  Before doing this I had trouble connecting to the Drobo at all, not to mention trying to mound VHDs.

Like I said, I can't remember any one of these being the complete solution, but I would try rebooting the Drobo first and let us know how it goes or if you find a true fix.

Veritas413

I don't know if this is still alive or not, but I ran into the same thing, in a work environment. I went back and forth with Drobo, and finally received this via email:

My apologies for the delayed response, after testing and conferring with one of our product managers, this is not a supported use case.  Currently we don't support mounting VHD's over SMB with our products, but it is being reviewed for support in the future.  Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this case.

Kind Regards,
Matt F
Tier 3 Support Engineer

That was about 6 months ago, and now that I know Win8 is affected as well as Server 2012, I think I'll reopen.

AndrewGebbie

I don't know if this is still alive or not, but I ran into the same thing, in a work environment. I went back and forth with Drobo, and finally received this via email:

That was about 6 months ago, and now that I know Win8 is affected as well as Server 2012, I think I'll reopen.

I never got round to doing an update on this, and since it's been reopened, here goes:

I said in an earlier post (#19) that I'd got as far as creating a VHD on my NAS, and that I was able to format it and give it a drive letter.  That worked fine; my problems came when I tried to reconnect that VHD at start-up.  How to do this has been covered elsewhere in this thread, but I found it fiddly.  You really do need to create a command (batch) file to do the job, and then you need to schedule the command file to run at start-up, and for me that was tricky because the connection didn't always work.  I think that was because Windows sometimes hadn't yet connected over the network to the NAS when the batch file ran, but at that point I tried a different tack.

I switched to using Symbolic Links (SymLinks), which you do by opening an administrator command prompt window, and typing something like

mklink /d c:\Backup \\NSA310\public

You should see:

symbolic link created for c:\Backup <<===>> \\NSA310\public

Then if you look in Windows explorer, there's the folder, looking and behaving for all the world like a shortcut.  Having done this, it works for ever after, through reboots and everything, no batch files needed, and it's been working for me with Crashplan for months now.  If you want to delete the shortcut, just delete it as you would any other file, and it's gone (the shortcut, not the data)
Edited by AndrewGebbie
  • Like 1

Veritas413

I never got round to doing an update on this, and since it's been reopened, here goes:

I said in an earlier post (#19) that I'd got as far as creating a VHD on my NAS, and that I was able to format it and give it a drive letter.  That worked fine; my problems came when I tried to reconnect that VHD at start-up.  How to do this has been covered elsewhere in this thread, but I found it fiddly.  You really do need to create a command (batch) file to do the job, and then you need to schedule the command file to run at start-up, and for me that was tricky because the connection didn't always work.  I think that was because Windows sometimes hadn't yet connected over the network to the NAS when the batch file ran, but at that point I tried a different tack.

I switched to using Symbolic Links (SymLinks), which you do by opening an administrator command prompt window, and typing something like

mklink /d c:\Backup \\NSA310\public

You should see:

symbolic link created for c:\Backup <<===>> \\NSA310\public

Then if you look in Windows explorer, there's the folder, looking and behaving for all the world like a shortcut.  Having done this, it works for ever after, through reboots and everything, no batch files needed, and it's been working for me with Crashplan for months now.  If you want to delete the shortcut, just delete it as you would any other file, and it's gone (the shortcut, not the data)

That's a neat tactic. However, my use case won't work for this one. When I came into my job, they were running robocopy backups that moved every file, or windows server backups that made a single backup then deleted the old one.

I came up with a system that uses Windows Server Backup in it's block level mode, but instead of a physically attached dedicated drive, it uses a VHD on my Drobo. This allows for block-level backups over a network. My backup times went from DAYS to MINUTES for all my machines.

I created fixed-size VHDs on my Drobo, and wrote a script that would connect to the SMB share, then attach the VHD, then execute the backup task. When the backup task throws a finished event, it kicks off another scheduled task that detaches the VHD, disconnects the share, and fires off an email. As long as that VHD was attached when the backup task was created, backup thought it was a local drive. It didn't need to know that I wanted to leave it disconnected all the time (that way reboots of either device don't matter as long as a backup wasn't ACTIVE, also, i'm paranoid about things like cryptolocker getting into network shares that are always active/mapped)

Apparently now with W8 or WS2012, I'm just screwed. I could back them up to a directory, but then we're talking file level backups, and that massively increases network throughput and backup times.

I guess it can't be that easy to implement on the Drobo file system side. Apparently DLink NAS devices have the same issue, I think it almost has to be that the newer M$ OSs use a different user to access the VHD file than it does the share, and the Drobo file system doesn't play nice with that. In the Microsoft forums, they blame the NAS manufacturer, and the NAS manufacturers blame Microsoft. Joy.

I got another response back from Drobo: 

My name is Matt and I am the engineer that has been assigned to your case. Currently, mounting VHDs via SMB to the B800fs is not a supported use case, I did speak with product development and there is no timeframe yet as to when this would be supported.  Development would need to do further testing around mounting VHDs on the B800fs, and would need to get it qualified as well by Microsoft, to better officially support the use of VHDs with the B800fs. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Matt F

Tier 3 Support Engineer

408-961-9153

So I guess they're really not interested in making it work. I wonder what I'm gonna do now...

Edited by Veritas413

ikon

I'm interested by your statement that the RoboCopy scripts were taking days. Is that because of the total amount of data? I'm mostly curious because RoboCopy, by default, only copies new and changed files, so I'm wondering how much data there is that it would take days. That, or perhaps most or all of the files are changing every day, so they're always getting copied.