RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kylejwx2

VHD will not attach in Windows 8

Mr_Smartepants

Well, I created the VHD on Win8 and copying it to both my Drobo5n and my WHS2011 server.

Attempting to attach the VHD from the Drobo fails while the VHD stored on the WHS2011 server attaches just fine in Win8.

Drashna Jaelre

IIRC, the Windows 8 VHD mounting uses the "SYSTEM" account, so make sure that has full control as well.

ikon

IIRC, the Windows 8 VHD mounting uses the "SYSTEM" account, so make sure that has full control as well.

Is that changeable? That way, he could ensure there is a matching account on both the server and Drobo (do Drobos use accounts?).

Drashna Jaelre

No, it's not. At least not that I'm aware of.

And as it's most likely done by the VDS, and that runs under the SYSTEM account... And i wouldn't recommend messing with it, unless you have a good backup of the system first.

ikon

And i wouldn't recommend messing with it, unless you have a good backup of the system first.

Well, we all *cough* have at least 1 *cough* good backup on hand at all times, right? *cough*

Drashna Jaelre

lol, True. But still, I don't think it would work. And it would likely totally FUBAR your system...

ikon

I like Fubars, specially the chocolate covered ones :D

Drashna Jaelre

lol, so do I. :P 
Considering how many times I've turned my server(s) into one.... (let alone my reinstall count on v1........)

Also, if you can somehow add the "SYSTEM" account to the share permissions, that may work too. If it lets you.

AndrewGebbie
kylejwx2 asked if someone had tried mounting a vhd on a non-Drobo NAS with Windows 8.  I'm trying this now with Windows 8.1 and my ZyXel NSA310, and it's looking good so far.  I used Windows' Disk Management to create the VHD, browsing to the path \\NSA310\public\VHD, then entering the name 'Backup VHD'.  That created an unallocated space which I could then Initialise and Create a New Volume on.  I used default settings all the way through and ended up with a newly formatted drive F: which I could copy files to.  My aim is to backup to this NAS with Crashplan, which will be my next step.  

ikon

Nice work AndrewGebbie. Keep us posted.