RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kylejwx2

VHD will not attach in Windows 8

kylejwx2

For several months, I have been using CrashPlan to back up to a VHD that was on my Drobo FS.  This was all using windows 7, and a couple times a week I would go into disk management and attach the vhd so that the back ups could run.  I recently upgraded to Windows 8 and now vhds that reside on the Drobo will not attach.

I get this error when attempting to attach from Disk Management: "The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file."

If I double click on the VHD file in windows explorer it says: "The file couldn't be mounted because it's in use."

If I move the vhd to my local storage it connects fine.  I never had a problem attaching vhds on the network with windows 7, but it seems that something is weird here.

Mr_Smartepants

Have you tried creating the VHD from within Win8?  If that works OK, then mount your old VHD and copy the contents to the new VHD.

I had some wackiness happen with folder permissions on a common drive (shared between Win7/Win8).

kylejwx2

I created a new vhd with windows 8 and mounted it when it was local.  After I copied it to the drobo, it stopped working.  I copied it back local and it worked again.  it seems to be something with the drobo and as the error messages say, some service or application is locking portions of the file.

Mr_Smartepants

Hmmm, I'll have to try that with my Drobo5N.

kylejwx2

ok, so I booted up a windows 7 virtual machine in VMware player.  from there I was able to successfully mount the VHD that resides on the Drobo.  It seems that there must be some issue with my windows 8 installation.  I think I might just reinstall windows 8 unless someone has a simpler idea. 

@mr_smartepants  Thanks for taking a look at that.  I would be interested to see if your results vary based on whether you use windows 8 or windows 7.

Drashna Jaelre

sfc /scannow first?

If that doesn't help, then reinstall may be best. :(

Oh and you have any file system filters installed?

kylejwx2

I am not familiar with file system filters, so I am guessing that I don't have them installed. :)

Drashna Jaelre

You do have a couple installed by default, actually. 

Sorry that I forgot to add the command to list them. Run "fltmc" from an elevated command prompt.  The default ones you should have are luafv and FileInfo. If you have a virus scanner installed, it may have filters installed as well.

Mr_Smartepants

OK, I just tried creating a VHD from within Win8 on my Drobo5N and I get the same error.

I have a feeling it has to do with NTFS file permissions.  Drobo uses it's own partition style.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

kylejwx2

Thanks for the info about the file system filters.

That is interesting that you got the same error with windows 8 on the drobo. The weird part is that it always worked fine with windows 7 so I am not sure that it is specific to the drobo and the NTFS file permissions. It would be good if someone could test attaching a vhd in windows 8 on a non-drobo network share.

Maybe I will submit a Microsoft Connect bug, if we can't find a solution.