RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New WHS Build

scottm

Hello,

Like many that join the forum I am putting together my first home server build and I am looking for feedback/questions to be answered. I have already been looking around reading various topics answering many questions, but some still remain.

Anyhow, for a little background: I have an old gaming/htpc I am going to tear down and make into something more astehtically pleasing. Therefore I have some leftover components such as the motherboard/ram that I would like to repurpose if at all possible.

Motherboard

If I go with a controller for Raid 5 is this motherboard suitable? What CPU at minimum do I need?

Also, how easy is it to expand your hard drive space with WHS 2011? Meaning, can I start with 4 hard drives then continue to add as I need space without much hassel?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Like many that join the forum I am putting together my first home server build and I am looking for feedback/questions to be answered. I have already been looking around reading various topics answering many questions, but some still remain.

Anyhow, for a little background: I have an old gaming/htpc I am going to tear down and make into something more astehtically pleasing. Therefore I have some leftover components such as the motherboard/ram that I would like to repurpose if at all possible.

Motherboard

If I go with a controller for Raid 5 is this motherboard suitable? What CPU at minimum do I need?

Also, how easy is it to expand your hard drive space with WHS 2011? Meaning, can I start with 4 hard drives then continue to add as I need space without much hassel?

Thanks in advance!

Not sounding like a broken record, IMO, never use the motherboard raid controller for anything but mirroring.  If you want raid 5 then use one of the many lower cost controllers.  I have a bunch of stuff on raid on my site that might help you.  It is very simple to expand your raid array as long as you have similar drives.

Sorry if I was unclear, I do plan on getting a controller for raid and not use the motherboard controller. I actually think I got the idea from your website and posted the controller in my amazon wishlist. I am more asking if the motherboard will suffice in a home server build.

^^ What he said. That mobo is fairly recent and should make a great WHS2011 server. In fact, it could be considered a bit overkill (but what's a little overkill between friends? :) ).

The only downside to using your MOBO with that CPU is that you will have to use a separate video card which is usually not needed/wanted in a server. (There is always throw one in , setup, remove it).  The 1610 is ridiculously cheap for what you get.  50.00!!  wow!!  Down the road you may want need more power but you have mad upgrade options with what your starting with and at 50.00 your not out much if you do.

I have built a light gaming machine in the case you have listed and the drive configurations available in it are GREAT!  Not just how many drives you can put it in it but the rotating / movable (maybe not best words) cages are nifty for the price.  I don't care for the window and the build quality was as well but it would not be my first choice for a server but case likes/dislikes is different for every person.  You can't go super small with that awesome mobo either.   Just out of curiosity what case is it in now and are you using it for something else or just don't like it for the server build? 

That mobo will be terrific. Absolutely nothing to worry about on that front

^^ What he said. That mobo is fairly recent and should make a great WHS2011 server. In fact, it could be considered a bit overkill (but what's a little overkill between friends? :) ).

Thanks!

The only downside to using your MOBO with that CPU is that you will have to use a separate video card which is usually not needed/wanted in a server. (There is always throw one in , setup, remove it).  The 1610 is ridiculously cheap for what you get.  50.00!!  wow!!  Down the road you may want need more power but you have mad upgrade options with what your starting with and at 50.00 your not out much if you do.

I have built a light gaming machine in the case you have listed and the drive configurations available in it are GREAT!  Not just how many drives you can put it in it but the rotating / movable (maybe not best words) cages are nifty for the price.  I don't care for the window and the build quality was as well but it would not be my first choice for a server but case likes/dislikes is different for every person.  You can't go super small with that awesome mobo either.   Just out of curiosity what case is it in now and are you using it for something else or just don't like it for the server build? 

I think I have some small low profile cards lieing around that I can use in the build to supplement for server graphics as needed! As far as the case goes, I actually looked at it again today and I think I am going to switch to this. The first one I listed is a bit smaller than I realized and I want to have a ton of room to future proof as much as possible!

The case that it is in now just would be a little small I think for my server once I get all of my HDDs in down the road. I actually still need to find something to do with it tbh.

For servers that don't have onboard video I just install a real cheap add-in card such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130586 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1CS0TV5754.

Thank you for the links, if I don't have one lieing around I will check these two out.

If you have older low end video cards lying around, the issue often is finding drivers for them for WHS2011. Even with the 2 I mentioned you would have to check that there are Win7 drivers (if there aren't specific Server 2008 drivers, Win7 ones will almost always work).