RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

TechNet Plus Subscription - is it worth it?

jvk

I got an email with a 25% off offer. The subscription would be $261.75 for the first year and I think annual renewals are around $250 or so. With as much software as I buy, I'm think it will probably be worth it, especially with Office 2010 and Vail coming out. What are everyone's thoghts on TechNet subscriptions?

Yes, it's a good deal. And what a coincidence. I just mentioned this in another thread.

As reported on Paul Thurrott's WinSuperSite, you can get a 25 percent discount on TechNet Plus if you use the code TNITQ406. Offer good until 6/30/10. Knocks the price down to $261.

Very simple math. What would you pay at retail 80 product keys for Windows 7? Not to mention Server 2008, 2003, SBS, etc. Need I continue?????
This is the best kept secret within the Tech Community.

Keep in mind... this is a LEASE ;-)

After a year all the licenses will expire, and you would have to renew! Of course, no one will come and take them off your PCs, but something to consider.

On the other hand, if you bought the individual software/licenses, there is no expiration.

Also keep in mind that Technet licenses are for testing purposes only. Installing the software for everyday uses violates the license, unless you're like me and testing takes forever.

• Like 1

The licenses DO NOT expire after one year. I have had a subscription for the past 5 years so at the moment I have over 1500 licenses. Did not renew this year because nothing new was coming out. When Vail goes final, I will renew and begin my "testing and evaluation" once more.

If I understand correctly then, the renewal is only for continued support, not for the right to use the license. So that would mean download everything you want in the first year.

I believe the only thing that expires after 1 year is further access to new license keys, and any new SKU's they'd develop after that time.