RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

External Hard Drives... specifically Maxtor brand

G. WadeTech

I am a noob to this forum but I don't plan to be for long. I have recently purchased WHS and would like to know if anyone else has or could tell me how the Maxtor (or any other hard drive) plays with WHS since the hard drive has pre-existing software on the drive. Thanks.

There should not be a problem, when you add the drive to the pool, from the Console, select Server Storage and add the drive, it will ask you if you want to format the drive, say yes.

To frustrate Chris, I only use external drives with my WHS. I have two LaCie 500GB drives for my data pool. Both have been replaced once. I would by drives with good warranties (at least 3 years). Otherwise, the concept works great.

Oh, and thanks for posting.

I use Maxtor One Touch III 500 GB drives to back up my home server. I have two of these drives, and I rotate them off site every other week.
They work fine for me.

-Jon

I have three 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda drives (7200.11 1.5 TB SATA 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Hard Drive ST31500341AS) and they work great...

Get the OEM drives since they don't include all the extra software and hookup cables therefore they're cheaper.

Rensul