RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
direktorn

32GB in G8?

direktorn

Hi, 

I currently have 2xHP Microservers at home, one NL40 and one NL54. They work great and both have 16GB ram, 3x SSD each and HP 212 Raid with RWRAM and four 3.5" disks both running a vmware cluster (a lot of MS stuff on) 

Now I'm thinking about to save some space and lower my electric bill :) by changing these babies with one or maybe two G8. But I'd like to get more RAM as 16GB is not really enough (have 10 VMs each mostly running intense stuff like Exchange, Lync, SQL, Sharepoint and so on..) 

Have anyone successfully tried a 32GB setup after changing to a 32GB friendly CPU like Xeon? I might do it myself as memory is not the most expensive in the world but If someone could tell me that it would not work, well :) 

direktorn

Bump - No one has actually tried?

schoondoggy

I have not found any 16GB DDR3 ECC Unbuffered memory modules yet.

FiLiNuX

Direktorn,

I know all the Dell power edge machines listed take ECC REGISTERED DIMMS but the link doesn't even say if this is ECC or if its Registered or not.  I was looking about a month ago  (Not for a Gen 8) for a potential customer who asked and I did not find  any "16GB DDR3 ECC Unbuffered" that were available.

Not saying it is 100% sure in this case but the DIMM pictured can't be divided by 3 or 5 so that makes me wonder as well. 

Magsy

http://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/ramcity-16gb-pc3-10600-ecc-unbuffered-240-pin-dimm/CVZ#tab_specifications

I've seen this being discussed somewhere here? Maybe elsewhere but the owner of the store was clear they are single stick, ecc, unbuffered. They were instock when I looked a while back just need a brave soul... :)

That Dell stuff up there will not work, that server is using an Intel 5520 chipset and they all require buffered/registered RAM.

ikon

That Dell stuff up there will not work, that server is using an Intel 5520 chipset and they all require buffered/registered RAM.

Whereas the G8 MicroServer requires ECC UNregistered RAM I believe, correct?

Magsy

Correct, usually hard to find because only cheap servers and workstations use it, most 'real' servers are on ECC REG and of course normal PCs use neither.

It is a major deal if you can get 32gb in there, the device goes from limited play time to serious usage :D

FiLiNuX

Holy price tag BatMan!!  Thats more then the Gen 8 costs for the ram!!