RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

1st WHS 2011 build - hardware list.

flyingscot81

HI,

Going to build my 1st server using WHS 2011. Here is my proposed hardware list.

Fractal Design Node 304 mini ITX case

Intel Pentium G2100T IvyBridge CPU

Gigabyte GA-B75N mini ITX motherboard - has 2 LAN ports

4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz

Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 450W 80+ GOLD

Intel 335 180GB SSD (boot drive) - they are on discount at the moment.

6x WD Green 2TB

HighPoint RocketRAID 2680SGL - used for RAID 5 - I know it's only SATA-II but I picked it up for ~$75 vs ~$175 for a 2720SGL here in the UK.

I am considering using an Antec ThreeHundred Two case (or a mATX case if someone can suggest  which will fit 6x 3.5" drives) and B75 or H77 mATX board instead as I think the Fractal case might be too full for good cooling.

Please let me know your thoughts / suggestions on improving this setup without increasing the budget.

I'm with g725s; get Red drives, or something else besides Greens.

Is there really that much of a difference? I have seen most people very skeptical of Reds vs Greens.

I've had enough issues with Greens that I stopped buying them almost 2 years ago. Mostly, what they would do mostly is develop bad sectors faster than other drives I've had over the years. A few people in the forums have had good luck with them; I haven't. IMHO, Reds are worth the small extra cost.

Now, there has been an issue with a few Red drives, mostly being DOA or NDOA (Nearly DOA, which means within a few months of being put into service). I ran into a DOA last year. I tried to SpinRite the drive and SpinRite immediately reported the drive as faulty. It was RMA'd.

Since I always SpinRite every drive before putting it into service I'm not concerned about potential DOA's. If you are concerned, you may want to look at other options such as Seagate NAS drives, or Hitachi or Toshiba.

Is there really that much of a difference? I have seen most people very skeptical of Reds vs Greens.

I've had a number of green drives without issue for some time: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5325-whs2011-build-critique-please/page-2#entry58417 and have found them quite reliable.  

There is a thread on Drive Reliability and Failure Rates: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5355-drive-reliability-and-fail-rates/