RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
flyingscot81

RocketRAID 2720SGL Setup and expansion

flyingscot81

Hi,

New this site and homeservers and have 1 question before 1 start building.

I current have 2x WD RED 2TB in a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v2 in RAID 5. (This array isn't transferable). I want to build a proper server using a RocketRAID 2720SGL as the controller. I would like to use my 4 existing WD REDs in the new RAID 5 array with 2 additional drives but I need to be able to retain existing data during the transfer. Can anyone confirm if the following process can be achieved.

1) Build new server with 2x WD RED 2TB without a RAID array (~3.6TB empty space).

2) transfer data from ReadyNAS to the new server.

3) move 4 existing WD 2TB discs (now with no data) to the new server and initialize RAID 5 array with all 6 discs WITHOUT losing data on 2 discs already installed.

Thanks,

Andrew

FiLiNuX

Andrew,

Welcome to HSS.  

I think things are possibly getting a little lost in the translation here.    While adding disks to different RAID levels is often possible I would suggest you back up your data and build your RAID with all the disks you have fresh from the start.  

I think starting with a fresh built new RAID setup with all disks would be best if possible.  I have even borrowed external drives from friends at times to back up data until the target was ready for it when I was short of drive space.    What type of server are you building / buying?

flyingscot81

Could I do the following:

Set 2x HDD up as a RAID 0 array.

Transfer data from ReadyNAS to RAID 0 array. (I realise there will be no protection from data loss during this time.)

Move 4 existing discs into new server and create a RAID5 array.

Move data from RAID 0 array to RAID 5 array

Delete RAID 0 array and then add discs to the existing RAID 5 expanding its size.

This sever I will be for file storage in the home so music, videos, pictures (mostly work related hence requiring RAID 5 and I will edit directly from the server), etc can be accessed from all PCs, TV, Sonos, DLNA devices.

pcdoc

The Rocket Raid does a great job in expansion so I would build the Raid 5 with 3 drives and copy the data from the Ready NAS.  When you are done, then take those drives and add them to the array.  Highly recommend that you leave the ReadyNAS with the data until you have copied everything over and have performed at least one expansion before killing the data and adding the drives.  Make sure that you set the settings in the card first to speed up the process.

Creating the array:  http://thedocsworld.net/creating-a-raid-5-array-using-highpoint-version-2/

Expanding the array

(Older versions of the software on the video but it gets the point across)

http://thedocsworld.net/raid-5-expansion/

ikon

I agree; the 2720 should do a good job. I have 1 question: you say you have 2x2TB WD Reds in RAID5? How is this possible? RAID5 requires a minimum of 3 drives.

FiLiNuX

Your still leaving out a disk PC Doc as OP says the end RAID will have 6 drives (start with 3 and add 3?).  That is why I was thinking something was getting lost in translation, I thought the same thing as well with Ikon's question. (that it was getting messed up in the wording).  

6 Drives is RAID 5 the best solution??

FlyingScot81 What are you planning to use  for a OS drive the RAID?  I would recommend in almost all cases having a separate drive (or removable media) for the OS and keeping the RAID for data.   

flyingscot81

I have 4x WD REDs in my ReadyNAS (not 2 as in my original post, sorry). My new server will have a 160Gb+ (although I believe you can use a smaller drive with a command line script during installation to get around the 160Gb min disc size) SSD running WHS 2011. I plan to but 2 new WD Green (or Red) and make this up to 6 drives (+SSD) total in RAID 5 in the new server. with this in mind I cannot create a 3 disc RAID 5 array to begin with as I will only have 2 blank discs top work with hence querying if a can start with a RAID 0 array with 2 discs to allow data to be copied off the ReadyNAS and transfer dicsc into server and create a new R5 array, populate this with the data from the R0 array and then add 2 new disc into the R5 array to create the final 6 disc array.

Edited by flyingscot81