RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SAS vs. SATA

g725s

Seems that SAS drives are preferred for enterprise type servers from what I've read.  All the drives I've used since the IDE days have only been SATA.

Can you put both SATA and SAS drives in the same type drive bay?  Don't they have a completely different connector on the back of the drive?

Are there drive slot that accept either type?

sata-sas.jpg

0435.SAS_5F00_SATA.jpg

Edited by g725s

You need to check to see if the back plane supports SAS/SATA.

Many of the IcyDock products come in SAS/SATA or SATA only versions.

The back plane in the MicroServer-36-40-54 will support either SAS or SATA.

I 'assume' the Gen8 will as well, but now that I think about it I have not checked it. 

If you are not using a back plane you can find SAS cables that have the data and power combined.

Edited by schoondoggy

Be aware, as schoondoggy intimated, this is not true of all backplanes. In fact, it's true of only a tiny % of them. That little gap between the power and data connectors on a SATA drive can make a big difference.

One other thing: although SAS drives are often used in enterprises, they generally are available mostly in 2.5" size and don't have the kind of capacity SATA HDDs have - a 1 TB SAS drive is a big one. OTOH, SAS drives typically are faster, partly because they often spin at 10,000 or even 15,000 RPM. They also tend to be more expensive; in some cases, a lot more expensive.

BTW, just to be clear, I have nothing against SAS drives -- just be aware of what your getting, and getting into, that's all.

There are plenty of 3.5" SAS drives at 7200 and 5400, Seagate Constellations and WD RE.

My Constellations are 2TB and I have some RE that are 4TB.

• 2 years later...

Yes

I am running Seagate Constellations in mine.

Point of clarification, I am running a P410 SAS/SATA RAID controller in my N54l.

The onboard disk controller in the N54l does not support SAS drives. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with Schoondoggy, there are plenty of 3.5" SAS drives out there, and I have plenty of them sitting in my servers some with large capacities as well.

In general SATA will work in a SAS adapter/backplane/whatever but not so the other way round.

The larger slower sas drives are typically NL-SAS.

True, very true and this is in fact what the ones I have above are, but for the sake of explanation I was trying not to make it to confusing for people