RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Forum Speed and Growth

Dave

The board is growing like crazy lately and I'm having to look at some things to alleviate speed issues.  I have taken a few steps to try to remedy the posting speed and db calls. Everything you see on the forums screen is a call to the database.  Recent posts, users online, etc.  Every module must call the db for every user.  I'm working with the board creator to look at some ways to speed us up!  

We can use this thread to discuss the options.  I'll keep you updated.

Dave

Forum is dragging this Monday morning. I've put the forum in a mode that disables a lot of db calls so some features are not available.

I thought something was a little different today.   Are you hosting this all on your own equipment or outsourcing?  If you are what does the back end of the forums look like?

Ok, the site has been under a WordPress Brute Force attack for 24 hours.  So far we have held up!  Taking more measures to alleviate this.  Putting up some more mod security rules to help out.  I might have to outsource some security and cacheing for the future as this is happening more and more.  Growth!  ;)

Things have really sped up in the last 4 hours.  Things are heading in the right direction.  Thanks Dave, it was getting near painful to post and now it seems reasonable again.  Down to about 8-9 secs a post which is down from about 20-25 secs.