RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Do we really need VT-d on our processors

bluedust

The proliant microserver gen8 comes with processors that do not support VT-d, but I am wondering if we really need it?

From my understanding VT-d is useful for those who want their guest virtual machines to directly connect to the host's phyiscal IO devices instead of using vitualised IO. Doing this should theoretically improve performance because the CPU overhead caused by virualised IO is no longer a burden to the CPU. How big is this IO burden on the CPU anyway? Apparently it is noticible on 10Gbit NICs, but how many people run such heavy IO loads on a microsever at home or in a small office environement?

This video explains it quite well:

I am on a quest to find out if it is worth upgrading the Celeron G1610T; so far it seems like its not worth upgrading for the VT-d.

There is a good article that explains the technology in more depth; a decision table helps decide if VT-d would be of benefit:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2010/05/13/to-vt-d-or-not-to-vt-d-a-guide-on-whether-to-utilize-direct-device-attach-in-your-virtualized-system/

Edited by bluedust

Your quest should not go a whole lot further (at first) then your home network.  

I would look more at what your CPU utilization is under normal usage in your environment as a gauge for upgrading plans/options more so then features such as VT-d.   I know a lot of people will upgrade just because it says Celeron regardless of what their actual needs are and just end up wasting money.  

I couldn't pass the G8 USB3 device through to my Win8 VM which I believe was due to no Vt-d. So can't backup data to my external USB3 housing at high speed. I'm only a novice with VM so may have missed something. I have a Xeon coming which does offer Vt-d.

Only used ESXi 5.1 and that can do the USB2 but not the USB3 with it being an add-in device (again, unless I'm missing something).

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Edited by psikey

Your quest should not go a whole lot further (at first) then your home network.  

I would look more at what your CPU utilization is under normal usage in your environment as a gauge for upgrading plans/options more so then features such as VT-d.   I know a lot of people will upgrade just because it says Celeron regardless of what their actual needs are and just end up wasting money.  

Thanks for that; that is some good advice. I am old school from the days that Celeron is a dirty word. At the end of the day if it does the Job, then it is not worth upgrading. 

I couldn't pass the G8 USB3 device through to my Win8 VM which I believe was due to no Vt-d. So can't backup data to my external USB3 housing at high speed. I'm only a novice with VM so may have missed something. I have a Xeon coming which does offer Vt-d.

USB passthrough is not a feature that requires Vt-d, I'm using a USB printer and USB controlled UPS with my NL54 without issues in vmware.