RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
schoondoggy

Obihai OBI202 VoIP Phone Adapter with Router - Google Voice, SIP, T.38 Fax Support $59.99

ikon

My last visit to a CO was about 5 years ago, and I agree with everything you say. That's why I asked the question -- it just doesn't seem possible. However, I can see where certain jurisdictions may mandate that the local POTS provider provide 911 service to all of its citizens. That could certainly change things. I'm sure the phone company won't be happy about that; that, or they will charge the local gov't through the nose for the service.

Joe_Miner

I have the Ooma and would like to try the Obi.  I have a Google Voice number so that would have worked well.  I liked the Ooma setup and the fact I got to pick out my phone number from a list.  I got the easiest one to remember.  I never used the apps or anything else with it.  I don't even use the base as the voicemail.  I set the voicemail answer to 99 rings and use my home phone setup as the voicemail.  Much easier for the family that way.  It's about $4 a month.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833617003   - Obi Link

I got my Ooma from woot.com for $99.  It's a refurb.

You should read this post over at surfacegeeks.  It's more about Skype but pretty cool.

http://www.surfacegeeks.net/forums/index.php?/topic/606-my-great-skype-experiment/

Got my Ooma & sound is excellent.  I set the rings to 9+ and was going to use my old home answering machine to record VM but it doesnt work any more so off to Walmart or Meijers -- any recommendations on answering machines or does anything (i.e. cheap as I can find) work?

johnas

Got my Ooma & sound is excellent. I set the rings to 9+ and was going to use my old home answering machine to record VM but it doesnt work any more so off to Walmart or Meijers -- any recommendations on answering machines or does anything (i.e. cheap as I can find) work?

Joe, the Ooma has a good answer machine built in. Is there a reason why you are not using it?

Joe_Miner

I'm aware, but it's not relevant.  WAF ("Wife Acceptance Factor") is my only criterion. :)

ikon

I'm aware, but it's not relevant.  WAF ("Wife Acceptance Factor") is my only criterion. :)

You need to buy a WAFooma, or is that oomaWAF?

Jason

Since Dave's post about familiarity, my wife and I have decided to get a POTS line in house for 911 and kids. Had Vonage in past. Loved features but call quality was poor. Have since setup pfsense with QoS for greater control over my bandwidth with online backups, torrent, usenet, DNS, HTTP traffic, etc.

Would you all recommend the Obi 202 or an Ooma?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free