RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

BIOS flashing N40 with 8 GB Ram installed

FiLiNuX

It seems recently I have seen a post with concerns that someone bricked their n40l during a BIOS update/mod and there were questions being asked if he did it with more then the stock 2GB of RAM installed & the HDD's all out. 

Is there REALLY a issue with flashing the N40L with more then the 2GB original DIMM installed?  In all the different things I have flashed I have never heard of something like this.  I know the concerns & precautions that must be taken to avoid problems but I wanted to ask before I jumped in.  

I am shipping my original 2GB of RAM off in the next day or so to a fellow HSS member so any quick info is appreciated.  I of course don't really want to mess with swapping the RAM out anyhow but more so don't want a n40L paperweight.  

Edited by FiLiNuX

-snip- 

Is there REALLY a issue with flashing the N40L with more then the 2GB original DIMM installed?  In all the different things I have flashed I have never heard of something like this.  I know the concerns & precautions that must be taken to avoid problems but I wanted to ask before I jumped in.  

-snip- 

No.  The issue is when someone changes out the RAM, (and other things) and then Flashes the BIOS on the first power up.  If the MicroServer is bricked we don't know what the problem is but most people will blame the BIOS when it could be the RAM or other thing added at the same time. 

I've flashed it back and forth (BIOS-MOD to BIOS to BIOS-MOD to etc) with 8 & 16GB installed with no problem.

Some of the concern is out of an abundance of caution as well. Like you said, you don't want a brick (mostly because that can be non-recoverable). So, when messing with things like the BIOS, it's often prudent to stick to the default configuration until you know the procedure has worked.

That said, JM makes an excellent point; you're probably safe if you reboot once or twice with the new RAM before trying to flash the BIOS.