RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Recommendations to HP to make the MicroServer Gen8 even better

schoondoggy

schoondoggy

Lets try to give HP some feedback on enhancements.

First thing on my list;

Add Windows Home Server 2011 to the approved OS list and add it to Intelligent Provisioning.

• Like 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• schoondoggy

• LoneWolf

• scruffters

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lets try to give HP some feedback on enhancements.   First thing on my list; Add Windows Home Server 2011 to the approved OS list and add it to Intelligent Provisioning.

Here is my 2-cents... 1-better fan controll, my box is having the OS control the RAID-5 (since the B120i on the MoBo can't) and I am at 36-39% fan speed at idle with no load and the monitor off, but

Would definitely be interested if an expansion box got made, I plan to put a boot drive in the DVD drive area and fit 4x4TB drives but would be nice to have a matching expansion option when these driv

Thumbs up, although HP will probably point to the 'end of life announcement' from MS as a good reason to not add it to Intelligent Provisioning.

Joe_Miner

Lets try to give HP some feedback on enhancements.

First thing on my list;

Add Windows Home Server 2011 to the approved OS list and add it to Intelligent Provisioning.

First on my List Too!

schoondoggy

Thumbs up, although HP will probably point to the 'end of life announcement' from MS as a good reason to not add it to Intelligent Provisioning.

Technically it is not EOL yet, but it will be.

Currently, they support SBS 2011, which is in the same boat.

Technically it is not EOL yet, but it will be.

Currently, they support SBS 2011, which is in the same boat.

Agreed, but EOL has been announced -- 12apr2016. Personally, to me, that means it still has quite a bit of life in it yet, but I suspect HP will view if differently.

Here is my 2-cents...

1-better fan controll, my box is having the OS control the RAID-5 (since the B120i on the MoBo can't) and I am at 36-39% fan speed at idle with no load and the monitor off, but when it the HP Provisioning screen, it's super quiet.

2- make it more obvoius that there is not an ODD that comes with the unit. All the HP pictures show the HP ODD in the slot.

3-make the 9,5mm ODD rear bracket a spare part so people can use it for the SSD drive caddy or someone like me that buys a HP ODD that does not have a bracket can install the ODD in the MS G8 correctly

4-Add some type RAID5 support/solution (I have no problem paying for an upgrade module, if the MoBo supported it) without having to buy a P222 for the same price as the server.

5-have all four bays at SATAIII speed and not SATAII on one pair.

However, I am still very impressed with this box! Nice job HP!

Regards, Matt

• Like 1

I suspect the 4-bay SATA III wish will come true (perhaps even the next version). It just has to wait for the chipsets for get upgraded.

"I wish HP will come out and say what processors are compatible with this Mircoserver!"

I believe HP is going to say the processors that are "compatible" with this Microserver are the two that they are shipped with.  We all know there are a lot more but I doubt HP is going to expand their warranty to add additional CPU's by saying others are compatible. 

"make it more obvoius that there is not an ODD that comes with the unit. All the HP pictures show the HP ODD in the slot."

THANK YOU BURKHARDI!!  I almost made a new post about this a couple weeks ago asking WHAT ODD came stock in the Gen 8's.  It really did look like it was a stock item from all the pictures while VERY FEW I saw of the Gen 7's showed a optional HP drive in them.