RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My first home server!

frankplummer

Hi everybody,

First post (of hopefully many) on these forums so please, be kind!

I have a HP Proliant MicroServer N54L on its way to me which I plan to kit out in the following configuration. I was hoping for some feedback from those more experienced in these units as to if what I'm thinking will work (specifically the NICs) with the N54L. It's going to be in a NAS/ESXi home lab configuration and not used for any production work.

The server comes with a 250GB SATA drive which I'm hoping to compliment with 2x2TB Seagate Barracudas (ST2000DM001) in RAID1 for mirrored storage. These drives aren't listed on the Compatible Hard Drive List but they are just standard SATA drives and I have seen users elsewhere online using them in this unit - need this be something to concern me?

It also comes with 2GB RAM as standard. I'm hoping to replace this with a single Kingston DDR3 DIMM (KVR1333D3N9/8G) which is listed on the N40L Compatible Memory List. I've read in numerous places that ECC memory isn't required, but advisable - I am clear on the difference between ECC and non-ECC but what is the disadvantage in the MicroServer of not using it?

Finally (if you've got this far - I thank you!) I'm looking to throw two HP NC7170 dual gigabit NICs in both of the PCI slots. These are PCI-X cards which HP claim are backwards compatible with standard PCI. I am aware that their bandwidth will be throttled to allow for the narrower bus but on the face of it is there any reason these wouldn't work?

Thank you to anyone in advance!

Edited by frankplummer

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• FiLiNuX

• Pancakes

• frankplummer

One thing: yes PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI, but the N54L has PCIe (PCI Express) slots, not PCI. PCI and PCIe are not compatible.

And one is PCIe x16, and the other one (when not used by the RAC) is PCIe x1.     You should be able to use an NC365T quad NIC in the x16 slot.  I'm pretty sure i've tested it before in a N36L.

Thanks for your replies guys - much appreciated!

One thing: yes PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI, but the N54L has PCIe (PCI Express) slots, not PCI. PCI and PCIe are not compatible.

And one is PCIe x16, and the other one (when not used by the RAC) is PCIe x1.     You should be able to use an NC365T quad NIC in the x16 slot.  I'm pretty sure i've tested it before in a N36L.

Thanks both - this was something that I missed when I did my homework. NC365Ts are pricey - so I'm probably going to skip the extra NICs for the time being..

The RAID built into he N54L is not supported by ESXi. 

The HP Smart Array cards are.

Something else I missed in my research. Does Xen or 2008/2012 Hyper-V support the builtin RAID?

Edited by frankplummer

Glad you posted before buying :)  BTW, PCI-X, like PCI itself, is pretty much defunct at this point, at least as far as I can see.

In the A+ Exam its like brand new tech

ROTFLMAO! Really? OMG. Nice how they keep these courses up to date, heh? Well, TBH, I've never put much faith in A+. When hiring people, I do not tick it off as a plus.

ROTFLMAO! Really? OMG. Nice how they keep these courses up to date, heh? Well, TBH, I've never put much faith in A+. When hiring people, I do not tick it off as a plus.

Yep, I had to take it for the HP Warranty certs though, the whole thing was a joke

Hey guys, I am pretty proud of the C- I got on the A+!!  

Really though, ANY certification that anyone takes the time to obtain is a good thing.  While the information may be outdated it does provide a basic understanding of hardware & maintenance. 

No I do not really have a A+ cert. :)

OP,  

I personally like to use ECC RAM as the machine is designed to utilize it and the cost over NON ECC RAM is not that much really.  Are you starting with a single 8 GB DIMM with plans on eventually populating the other slot to reach 16 GB?  If not you might find even cheaper solutions.  The option to upgrade past 8 GB in the future is always nice to have though.